1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nate Silver: 2/3 of America's op-ed columnists are "worthless"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 6, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He hates punditry, he hates narratives, he hates bold proclamations — and so too does he hate the media’s most willing vessels for all three.

If he wasn't a gay, Jewish nerd, I might be in love.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

His book "The Signal and the Noise" is destined to go down as a classic.

And he doesn't reject non-empirical means of analysis. For example, he has a chapter where he readily admits that baseball scouts outperformed him in rating prospects.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How big of him.

I like Silver's work as far it goes. And I'll read the site, too. I just found the dig of op-ed columnists ironic.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Is he referring to methodology, or the fact any reader knows what most op-ed writers have written just by looking at the headline? It's predictability that makes it the weakest section of most papers.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thought provoking observation MG. When you think to the op ed columnists at Silver's former home they
    are all very predictable. See Rhoden, William

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Sounds like a direct shot at Dowd and Noonan to me.

7. Dick Whitman

From what Silver has written in the past, I believe he thinks that many columnist abandon nuance for bold opinions, and rewarded whether or not those bold opinions are sufficiently defended.

8. Michael_ Gee

Boom, to me there's a difference between having a known point of view and being completely predictable in every way. Krugman, Brooks and Douthat have recognizable ideological slants, but they also at least TRY to say things in new ways and wrestle with new ideas using their points of view. Most op-ed writers don't even bother to do that. They just preach to a choir that's increasingly invisible. If I owned a newspaper, I'd ashcan the op-ed page and print more letters, or even, gasp!, real news.

9. Dick Whitman

Brooks is a self-righteous buffoon.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd bet that, if you gave me a news headline, I could more often than not tell you word-for-word what E.J. Dionne will have to say about it. That's not a good thing.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Same with Rhoden. We're only weeks away from a column proclaiming
    Ray Rice misunderstood and a victim racial bias.

12. Michael_ Gee

The problem is structural. Op-ed pages are now run with the idea Columnist X isn't a person thinking about issues, he's a person expressing a particular ideological point of view on said issues. A duller format could not be imagined. BTW, if I ran a paper, I'd ashcan the editorials, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted