1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Natchez (Miss.) Democrat sports reporter opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jedwards23, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So, jedwards, I'll ask you the same question I asked about Vicksburg:

In your best graph, define Natchez.

I think my next job might be in Mississippi. Something about the state is calling.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I know I wasn't asked, but I'll give you a graf on Natchez.

Deep South. Old Money. Old people. Big Houses. Garden Clubs. Two Pilgrimages. Great food. Crawfish boils. Decent bars. Plants closing. Buildings emptying. LSU fans. The bluff. The River. Bed & Breakfasts. Nothing Close. Wonderful town. Like Oxford. Without university. I'd return.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great food. Crawfish boils.

I'd go for that.

4. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

In other words, dull and boring. Vicksburg is next to an interstate, at least. :D

I feel like I'm entering a war for control of Xan's soul.

5. mattyb

mattyb Guest

Very deep south, bars have have apparently changed since bags was there haha, food is OK, Natchez would like to think it is Oxford and they like to price things that way too. If you don't mind living in a dead zone..it's your type of place.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Didn't like it huh?

7. three_bags_full

I'd consider an interstate dull and boring. :)

8. three_bags_full

It's been several years since I've lived there, but I'd be willing to bet the type of bars I like are doing just fine.

9. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Born and raised there, AND worked at the Democrat (OK, so that was 25 years ago...). Can't say anything about it now, but Natchez used to be an eclectic little place. (Wonder if the dwarf still runs one of the bars on Canal Street. We used to hang out there after work until dawn ... and I don't know if this was an urban legend, but supposedly Natchez was classified as a resort area by the state and its bars could stay open 24 hours.) ... Learned a lot about nearly every angle of journalism there and have never regretted it. ... But yeah, the pay was terrible even then.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, i take it back. it means "alot".

11. three_bags_full

There's a tiny fella rumored to have had relations with a donkey who ran the saloon under the hill. I guess he's still there.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Vicksburg with more old houses, because they sucked up to the Yankees during the war. :D

You really need to visit first before jumping in blind.

Draft saved Draft deleted