1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Natalie Pierre Williams in critical condition after car wreck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guillermo, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Can't think of a worse way to go this side of being buried alive.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Only here would people worry about whether more citizens are ripe to set themselves on fire because the criminal deterrence factor may not be high enough.

I mean, what kind of navel-gazing, concern-trolling nonsense is that?

3. Mr. Sunshine

Why don't you tell us.

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Several years and three jobs ago, I covered a small town in which a woman made a driving mistake of some sort that resulted in an accident that caused the death of her child. It was clearly a case of awful driving (although I can't remember exactly what she did), but there were no drugs/alcohol involved. She was, of course, devastated beyond belief.

After a standard investigation that would occur in any fatal traffic accident, the police chose to issue her a ticket. As I recall, the decision was criticized on both sides. But the logic behind it was, a serious accident occurred and there should be some sort of legal finality to state why it occurred on the record.

I could see the same logic here. If Natalie recovers and at some point is arrested again for domestic violence or attempting to destroy someone else's property, there should be some record of her history of reckless and violent behavior that the authorities could use in determining her treatment and/or punishment.

Likewise, if she applied to work in a school or around a vulnerable population, her record might help determine whether she is appropriate for that position.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but to me that's the best argument in favor of charging her with something and then not seeking any punitive recourse except maybe the requirement that she seek counseling.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think the verities can take a day's rest.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

He apparently made some very unwise decisions before the marriage in Florida, where he has a pretty decent rap sheet.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

8. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Thanks....that's interesting....did not know that.

Although in the interest of fairness, that was seven years ago (six before their marriage) and we don't know how those charges were resolved.

That said, it adds to what I have to imagine was already an unusual/unexpected pairing to begin with.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It was a simple question based on an oddity that struck me in reading the story, which resulted in a conversation. I would be sorry that it didn't meet with your approval, but worrying about what someone I've never met thinks about the things I do would probably be the height of navel-gazing nonsense.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There are other, more recent, arrests for probation violation, but it doesn't specify what he did.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thank goodness his previous misdeeds were documented so we could dismiss them, though.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Nobody is dismissing them.

Draft saved Draft deleted