1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Natalie Pierre Williams in critical condition after car wreck

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guillermo, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You're not new here, you know how some people are with things. And for this situation, I'm fine with every single post stating exactly that.

Let me do it one more time: I hope she is able to recover, quickly or otherwise, and enjoy some kind of life.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

First-, second- or third-degree burns? That's a pretty important distinction. I pray that it's first- and second-degree, and not third. If it's first or second, she'll recover. If it's third-degree burns ... pray really hard.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If this is out of line, then I sincerely apologize. It's not meant to be offensive but more of an observation.

I just couldn't help but notice how attractive Natalie is. She is a very good looking woman. I noticed this back when we discussed her situation sometime last year. Maybe it's human nature, but it seems when really pretty females are harmed, people take more notice. A couple of good examples would be Natalie Holloway and Lacie Peterson.

Anyway, I can't imagine being that attractive and then being physically scarred so bad by burns. The physical toll would be enough torture, but the emotional toll from the drastic change in appearance would probably be more than I could deal with. Then, again, people are amazingly and surprisingly stronger than we realize when faced with major hurdles in life. Hopefully, Natalie is one of those people, too.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Obviously the criticism she took here was the first thing that came to mind, because it's the only reason I knew who she was. But totally different, and everyone here (I hope) wants to see a recovery and are hoping for the best. I know no one else wants to say it, but depending on the severity of the burns, she might not be a lot better off. I hope she can have a normal, pain-free life, but it's going to be tough. I haven't heard a lot of stories from burn units, but the few I have heard/read have been fucking brutal. I don't even want to think about it.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

According to the report, she's in critical condition in the burn center's ICU ... not a good sign right there ...

Yeah, pray really hard ...

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Saw on Twitter there is reason for hope. Apparently breathing on her own, has opened her eyes and had a surgical procedure that was successful. Great news, but obviously not out of the woods yet.

On a journalism front, saw the reporter who is covering this story said on Twitter that she is one of Natalie's best friends. Maybe the newsroom isn't big enough to have a non-best friend cover the story, but that sort of feels weird. And I wonder if it was a city councilwoman or other public figure who was injured in the same circumstances, if they would be pressing the "what really happened?" angle and asking some tough questions of the husband (noting his past transgressions) and pressing the police about the investigation.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Much like the Chicago-area police shooting we're discussing in Sports & News, it's tough to say what kind of reporting is going on behind the scenes right now. Here, accusing a guy of attempted murder before you have it pretty locked down is a pretty risky step to take.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Anything new on this?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Was just about to post this. Bizarre stuff.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ummmm... yeah. I didn't see this coming at all. What the hell?

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sounds like the plan was much worse than the outcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted