1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nasty student newspaper rumor -- any help?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Nov 7, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

As some of you have heard, nooses were found hanging from at least one tree on the Baylor campus on Tuesday. What I've now heard from two independent people is that the student newspaper wrote an editorial after it happened either saying they supported it (free-speech basis, maybe?) or said it was no big deal.

I spent a couple minutes looking for it, but found nothing -- not surprising considering I was also told it was only on the site for only a matter of hours before someone took it down from the site.

Someone with info on this please tell me this is nothing more than some creative imaginations. I'd hate to see a bunch of young journos make a horrible mistake.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Original "news" story:
    http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=3500366

Only related op-ed I can find on the Lariat site:
    http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=54370

Can't even find any blogs related to any drama though, so not sure what to make of it...

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Inappropriate to put up a noose, but the hysteria surrounding it is over the top. And, of course, Baylor administrators formed a team to help teach tolerance and stop more nooses from appearing.

4. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Same thing happened at Oregon State a few years back. Almost the exact same scenario. Noose, news story, op-ed saying "its free speech," campus and community backlash, and then the school formed a committee to deal with everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted