1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nasty day for tornadoes in Dixie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 24, 2010.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

Yazoo City, Miss., apparently got hammered too.

3. dixiehack

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Just two injuries, treated on the scene, in our neck of the woods just north of here near Eagle Lake. Yazoo City is another story. Tornadoes are not just a feature of spring in the Plains, but Dixie as well. The weird thing was just 10 miles south or so, not a drop of rain and the sun was shining the whole time.

Going to school in the tornado belt of the South, I got used to crawling into the bathtub with blankets and comforters piled on top of me when the siren sounded. Not much you can do in that instance but pray.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Also, our lead photographer was on his way to a gig in Memphis with his band and his Jeep rolled over several times from the tornado's winds. He's lucky to be alive, but a couple of his friends in the Jeep were injured and are in the hospital. What an insane day. Glad the death toll wasn't any higher.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

My 80-year-old dad is, thankfully, okay despite a touch-down near Meridian, MS, where he lives.
    SEC teams were stormed-out in Tuscaloosa yesterday and this afternoon.
    Finally playing tonight, with Bama leading MSU 5-2 in the 6th. (Doubleheader set for tomorrow)
    Ole Miss topped LSU in the first game and they were to play a second tonight.

7. dixiehack

And now reports that police are having to control looting after Albertville, Ala., got hit. Lovely.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Albertville is filled with... ummm..., guests of this country who may or may not be legal.
    Town about 10 miles from me got nailed...Cordova.
    People around here were floored. They'd seen sa lot of storms, but can't remember a time they went all day and into the night.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Storms to the north, west and south.

Tupelo had its once-a-century townwrecker in ... 1936.

So we've got a few more years to play with.

Draft saved Draft deleted