1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nasty arrogant US classlessly runs it up on Canada.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

They must have trimmed off the last question from Scoop:

Q: Melo, one last thing bro. This the best head you've ever gotten?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Apparently not.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I got to interview a fellow who played on the first U.S. Olympic basketball team (1936, Berlin) back in '92. His comment on the Dream Team: "You could take Magic, Bird, Jordan and two guys off the street and win the gold medal."

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I used to feel great national pride when the US would blow out opponents in the Olympic basketball but now I find I enjoy it more when the US loses.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Boom, why do you hate America?

6. Petrie

Petrie Guest

So you really do want the terrorists to win...

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Barkley's elbow was inexcusable; don't even try to infer otherwise. It came after the play had already ended, so "NBA speed and intensity" had nothing to do with it. And the "firestorm" following the Angola game was primarily about that elbow.

But in general, you make a fair point. The people who complain about U.S. blowouts show minimal understanding of Olympic basketball history. The U.S. didn't lose a game for 36 years (and didn't lose a legitimately contested game for another 16 after that), and margins of victory like the ones the '92 team put up weren't uncommon. And there's a faction of U.S. columnists (and fans) who still believe that the NBA players are in the Olympics because USA Basketball was pissed off after losing in Seoul and said, "We'll show you, world! Meet Michael, Magic and Sir Charles!" Never mind that the rest of the world was far more enthusiastic about bringing in the pros than the U.S. was. And the fact that it only took, what, 10 years for the American NBA players to lose a major tournament (as opposed to 36 or 52) proves how valuable the NBA players' presence has been in raising the level of international play.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

US basketball dominance is our right. Now that we are back on top I feel a little better each day

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm outraged. OUTRAGED that the United States gave up 65 points.

10. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

IIRC, when someone finally interviewed the Angolan player, he was thrilled because he felt it meant Barkley had taken him seriously as an opponent. A perspective not shared by many.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Mainly because it makes no sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted