1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nasty arrogant US classlessly runs it up on Canada.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ah yes. The simpering against the U.S. (for that matter, against anyone) for playing too hard.

It's not Charles Barkley's goddamn problem if players from Angola aren't used to playing games at NBA speed and intensity (which includes occasional elbows).

This is the template for the columns which will appear if the U.S. wins any more games by 50+ (or 30+, or frankly, anything more than single digits).

Of course, if they do win games by single digits, or lose, out comes Template B: "The U.S. team is lazy, selfish, unmotivated, weak on fundamentals, etc etc etc; they're not playing hard enough."

The hilarious thing, of course, is the Dream Team coasted through almost all its games, walking the ball upcourt, after the firestorm of criticism which followed the 116-48 win over Angola in the first game.

Thus began the adoption by US Basketball of informal point-shaving as its operational philosophy. "Win, but not by too much."

It took about 10 years for it to catch up to them and bite them in the ass.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I watched every Dream Team game I could back in 92. I barely have any interest now. If they blow everyone out, maybe I'll start watching during the Olympics. They won't blow everyone out though. But still, a great team will get me to go out of my way to watch.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

Totally agree. This ain't Dixie League baseball.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

We have a national basketball team?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I didn't know until a couple weeks ago, but Cape Verde was in contention for an Olympic spot. It's a handful of islands off the African coast, and the only thing they produce that we've heard of is hurricanes, but still. They, sadly, could not hang with Germany and company

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is the equivalent of Canada beating italy in men's ice hockey 11-0 in an exhibition game. Who cares. Not only were the Canadians playing without their best players, but they had absolutely nothing to play for while the U.S. is gearing up for the Olympics. I would been absolutely shocked had it been any closer.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, I watched the obligatory 10 minutes, and all I got out of it was that if the absence of Nash and Dalembert leaves Canada THAT devoid of talent ... they're really down.

Did they have an NBA player on the floor? I didn't pick up on any while I was viewing it.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Lets keep kicking their ass until they stop calling ham "bacon"

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

U.S. added some bulk on the boards for this one.

[​IMG]

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

That'll learn 'em.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I just accidentally woke everyone up.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I read the same article and could not believe how Scoop was kissing Anthony's ass. I think Carmello was even uncomfortable. He had some good points but they were lost in the fact he was on his knees for most of that interview.

Draft saved Draft deleted