1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nasty arrogant US classlessly runs it up on Canada.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3505801

The thesis of numerous columns and radio talk shows in the next few days.

The US looked OK, not great, had a lot of turnovers - it looked like a typical opening exhibition game.

Without Nash, Canada is pretty weak. But the US kept hustling, for the most part, right to the end. And Wade did look pretty good.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Canada did not notice. They're all intensely focused on the Alouettes-BC Lions game tonight. :D

(Except JR. He was crying in his Molson Canadian after the Tiger-Cats lost to Edmonton.)

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's hard NOT to score when you're shooting as well as the U.S. did tonight.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Starman, I was reading this Scoop Jackson piece (I know, I know) the other day and I thought of you. Putting aside the fact that Scoop pretty much needs a set of knee pads for home much he gobbles up Carmelo Anthony, it brought to mind just how freaking stupid Larry Brown was in 2004. Carmelo, LeBron, D-Wade and Amare Stoudemire averaged 11 minutes per game in the 2004 Olympics. 11 minutes. Pretty much the three best players of their generation, plus Amare when he was still one of the greatest leapers in the world, all rode the bench so Brown could prove how smart he was and sabotage the legacy of USA Basketball.

But hey, at least we played the right way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/080723&sportCat=nba

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Let that be a lesson for the rest of the world.

/too lazy to use blue text

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

If there's ever a case to "run up the score," it would be when a developed country plays another developed country in the Olympics.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

120-65?

Fuck, that sounds like a Ticat score.

I suspect if Nash hadn't been there it might have been 120-10.

Anyway, who gives a shit? We're just waiting to kick everyone's ass in hockey in 2010.

Too bad lacrosse wasn't an Olympic sport. We'd kick butt in that too.

I'm trying to decide whether Canada sucks worse at soccer than basketball.

Toss a coin.

But remember, USA, play the game the right way. :)

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah. 19-13 is a Ti-Cat score. :D

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

About. Friggin. Time.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Um, Nash didn't play. Neither did Dalembert, who was kicked off the team for being a jackass at Olympic qualifying.

Honestly, Canada has a few good players. Toss in Nash, Magloire and a couple decent NCAA'ers and the team should at least be good enough to play in the Olympics, but there's not much depth and we'll never be a medal threat - which is exactly why Nash et al choose not to play for the national team. Waste of time.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Oh, Canada....

If Coach K is smart, he'll let them run and gun their opponents off the floor and blow them out.

That's the American Way! 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted