1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nastia mania

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txsportsscribe, Aug 21, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ok, maybe i'm just olympiced out at this point but i thought this was just a tad bit of overkill.

kxas (nbc) in dallas devoted all but 3 minutes at the end of the regular 1-hour 4 o'clock local news (for weather) on nastia liukin's return to the dallas area, complete with the 1st 30 minutes of journalistic gems like play-by-play of the freakin plane landing and then taxying to the gate and the accompanying water canon salute on the taxiway.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

She's a hometown girl; can't blame them.

Heard that her parade in Parker on Saturday was postponed on account of flooding.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't understand athletes leaving an Olympics before the closing ceremony. I'd want to stick around and soak in the atmosphere. But I guess they want to get back and cash in ASAP.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i think she said something about a gymnastics tour starting sunday. and f_bat, the parade was postponed TO saturday.

5. They probably miss home, too. If I won gold, I would want to get home ASAP to celebrate with my people - and get on with my life.

There was a NYT article the other day about gold medal winners and how they have a little bit of, "What now?" syndrome. So it can't be easy to sit around the village for another week and a half.

6. Football_Bat

I thought it was NEXT Saturday, but I think I'll give it a miss, regardless.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

For some of the medal winners, their names will be forgotten in one week tops. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

I'd love to soak in every minute of the Olympics, too. But once the 100,000 condoms were all grabbed by Michael Phelps (ewww!) maybe it was time for the young ladies to get out of the village.

If my event were early -- such as the cycling events -- I'd probably get on a plain and head for cleaner air, too. The Tour of Utah pro cycling race was last week and New Zealand's oly cycling guy left Beijing and flew to Utah to race just two days after his Beijing business was done.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Agrees. He can't complain.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. joe

joe Active Member

I guess the pilot stuck the landing, eh?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ms. Liukin if you're nasty.

11. Football_Bat

Nice.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Guh. I really did type that. I'm too tired and it's only 6 p.m. here.

/head hung in shame

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted