1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Oct 10, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Connie ain't auto-tuned. ;)

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll take Deacon, thank you.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Just give him a $50,000 guitar and he's ALL yours.

And that girl who works at the Bluebird, whose name escapes me, has a very annoying accent. Loved their song last week, though.

Powers Boothe is awesome as well. He has never disappointed in the bad-guy role. He was one of my favorite characters on Deadwood, a show with a TON of great ones.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don't watch much TV aside from baseball and reality crap like Survivor, Amazing Race and The Apprentice in its various incarnations, but I started watching this in week three after reading this thread. I'm liking it, yeah it's soap opera-ish but I really love the music.

Love the city and it's always cool to spot places I have been in my travels there, Rayna and her manager had lunch down by the river last night about two feet from where Huggy Jr. and I looked at the Titans' stadium when we were there in the summer.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I haven't watched last night's yet, but I'm still liking it.

And still loving Deacon, even as he makes bad decisions.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When bad things happen to bad boys?

7. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

This show is awful, IMO

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Grantland's Andy Greenawald nails what's great about it.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/61494/nashville-check-in

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

this is just too hysterical not to share with y'all:

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw the first episode and it struck me as too much of a soap opera. Not really my cup of tea. I may have to watch further because the GF likes it, but I can put up with just about anything with JUGGernaut stars such as Pannettiere and Britton. On the list of lousy stuff I have to watch, this will be quite bearable.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If you don't like country music, then you won't like it, I'd assume. I grew up listening to GOOD country music and despise the current crop of stars, but I like how the show plays the older generation against the younger. And the music is excellent and is the star of the show. Though Britton and Pannettierre and Powers Boothe don't hurt.
    I don't see it as a soap opera so much. I think shotty's Grantland link nails it. There are elements of soap opera and some back-stabbing, etc., but it's nothing on par with Dallas or something. It is a very good show, and I have enjoyed every episode so far. Not because of Britton, but it reminds me a lot of Friday Night Lights, which I absolutely loved, and that is mentioned in the Grantland piece as well. And this pretty much sums it up:

"Like Friday Night Lights before it, Nashville has the subtle temerity to treat its characters like adults. And, in doing so, it treats its audience the same way."
    I can barely tolerate the Scarlett and Avery characters, but the rest of them are excellent.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Glad he didn't stick to comedy .... Chip Esten (Deacon), on Whose Line is it Anyway. Yikes!

Draft saved Draft deleted