1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville update -- EPILOGUE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Re: Nashville question

Try the Holiday Inn Express downtown on Broadway around Eighth. It's a few blocks from the Sommet, and you could walk to Second Avenue and the nightspots. It's across the street from the Frist art museum and Union Station, and within spitting distance of The Tennessean. It wouldn't be luxurious or anything, but it's clean and the location is good.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Nashville question

Used priceline and got Loews vanderbilt hotel for 99 bucks... anyone stayed there?

Oh, and Demos will be dinner that night...

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Re: Nashville question UPDATE -- found the hotel, now what

On the other thread, I think you mentioned wanting to see a Sounds game sometime. You really don't.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

That's where I stay every time I'm in Nashvegas. Very nice, and 99 bucks is a steal for it. Right across the street from Vandy, and there's a Ruth's Chris in the building, which doesn't suck.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope. I can pretty much tell you I didn't. Bonjovi and his screaming fans will be enough sound for this trip.

And I did mention the Ruth Chris to Ms. Slappy.
    I believe the conversation went something like this:
    ME: I paid for the hotel in Priceline
    HER: I was going to get the hotel.
    ME: Too late, already got it. You get dinner and the cabs downtown.
    HER: OK.
    Me: Hey. There's a Ruth Chris in the hotel.
    HER: We'll se... AIN'T NO FUCKING WAY I"M PAYING FOR RUTH CHRIS.

So we're going to Demos.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There's a White Castle at Broadway and I-40 ... only one in the South that I know of ...

Seriously, though, the Ernest Tubb Record Store (right on Broadway) is worth checking out ...

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Use the money you saved on Priceline -- Good Lord, 99 bucks for the Loews? Sure it's not the one that Jimmie Johnson is the spokesman for? -- and get a rental car. Cabbing around Nashville will cost you a fortune -- provided you can find a cab.

There's also a new deli right next door that I bet has a good breakfast or lunch...it's in a new mall anchored by TGI Friday's (hey, no town is perfect!).

And there's drive-thru Krispy Kreme right behind the hotel for that late-night snack on the way home from Bon Jovi. Bound to have "Hot Fresh Now!" blinking that time of night.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We booked our Boston hotel room through hotwire two days before we went down last weekend. Great find.

Got a room at the Intercontinental right downtown for $129.00 a night. Normal rate is around $350.00.

9. Re: Nashville question UPDATE -- found the hotel, now what

Nice hotel choice. There's a decent Thai place a block away and a pretty good Indian buffet next door. Lots of good restaurants within walking distance. If you want something really nice, check out F. Scott's. My wife and I ate there, and it was great. We went all out and spent like $200 on a dinner for two (we were way under budget for our trip). On Broadway, there's a few good BBQ places in addition to the cheesy crap like Hard Rock. Make sure you go to Robert's Western World and some of the smaller bars around in that area.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Avoid Jack's Barbecue like the plague.

Avoid Big River Grille like the plague.

Make sure you hit the Pancake Pantry over by Vandy.

Be sure to stop in at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge. As a native Nashvillian once told me, "It's a dump. But it's a world-class dump."

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have been to Tootsie's. It is indeed a dump. My kinda dump

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tootsie's has been jam-packed past capacity every time I've been in there/attempted to go in there. Robert's is much more laid-back and damn near as happenin' (if that makes sense).

The Stage is all right, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted