1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville Predators moving to Canada? NOPE! Sorry, Canucks (and KC!)...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 23, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re: Nashville Predators moving to Canada? Sure seems like it...

Aren't the Chicago Wolves already playing in All-State Arena? And if memory serves correct, they've actually won championships in recent years as opposed to the Blackhawks.

I think Canada will add the Predators to the mix of NHL teams who will be there and be a Cup finalist ASAP.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That was my thought when i originally read the story. Hamilton's a non-starter. Winnipeg will never happen, unfortunately. Saskatchewan is too small, period. Quebec City is the only other real possibility I could invision, but I have no idea what their arena situation is.
    I think Bettman stepping in previously to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh was more of a matter of keeping a team in an established market with a long history of hockey. Nashville, on the otherhand had a 103-point team this year and averaged a shade over 14,000 in attendance and only about 12,000 of those paid. This was a stanley cup contender from the beginning of the season, a team that had been winning for three seasons and they couldn't get people in the door. As Elliotte said it was the corporate world that for whatever reason would not get behind the team and buy the lower bowl tickets. It's too bad because I liked a lot of the moves the team made early on in its history to educate fans and to make Nashville theirs. I actually figured they had the best chance of any sun belt team surviving outside of Arizona, and even the Coyotes aren't on stable ground despite a brand new rink. Unfortunately it hasn't panned out. Time to give the game back to canada.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sea, but you're not drawing from just K-W. You're drawing from most of SW Ontario including the GTA--what's that, a population base of five million.

Also, just read this in Mirtle's blog:

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2007/05/balsillies-other-buy.html

According to Real Track, a website that follows Ontario's commercial real estate market, RIM has purchased a 25.7-acre parcel of land from Mattamy (Galt) Ltd. for $3.7 million through a numbered Ontario company. Mattamy went through a land severance on the property at the city in February. The deal closed Feb. 16.

I doubt RIM is buying 25 acres of prime real estate for a new office building.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

God bless you, Starman.

5. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

KW makes sense to me, and Kansas City has to be an attractive site for anyone (it'll happen, just you wait).

What I don't understand is why Seattle or Portland doesn't have a team. Even with Vancouver nearly it still seems like a largely untapped region.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because it worked out so well for the Rockies-cum-Devils.

7. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

You really can't make a fair comparison. For example, the Flames did well in Atlanta and still moved to Calgary. The North Stars moved to Dallas primarily due to the greed of one man ... and so on. K.C. with the new arena that would be very favorable to any franchise is almost a slam dunk, especially since it doesn't have the NBA (no pun).

Two of the five worst teams in terms of attendance this season were in the New York area. All the other teams at the bottom were just bad.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

According to one of the replies on Mirtle's blog, the property is near here, southeast of the junction of Highway 401 and old Highway 24.

The driving distance between there and the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, according to Google maps - 92.2 kilometres, or about 57.3 miles. Coincidence? I think not.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'll take the flip side of this: plenty of teams always talk about the potential area they can draw from but will people drive from Toronto to KW in the middle of January on a Friday night (or whenever, unlikely they'll play Saturdays) with gas at $5 a gallon or whatever it's at? Maybe (and with no GO or any other options they'll have to no choice but to drive) but maybe not.

Junior hockey has been huge in that area for ages (I'll throw Guelph in there too). Are those people going to bail on the Rangers and the Storm to pay 10 times more a ticket to see the KW Octoberfests or whatever?

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bettman badly wanted to keep Crosby in Pittsburgh, but he won't put up as big a fight about the Predators. I still think he'd want them to go to KC, but if Balsillie wanted to take them to K-W, Bettman would listen.

Ultimately, if Jimbo is wealthy enough to pay $220 million for Nashville, build his own arena and give it a shot in an area of mad hockey fans, the commish may give him the chance.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Point taken but lots of people from Hamilton, Burlington and Oakville head off to Sabres games in January or February.

KW Octoberfests has a nice ring to it.

The Kitchener Krauts works as well. :)

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I like the idea of another Canadian team, for sure. Nashville just sounds odd for the NHL. I remember when the Devils began to flirt with Nashville years ago when they wanted a new arena, it never did sound right to me.

I still say Kansas City, even if it doesn't land the Predators, won't be done wooing teams. Maybe it gets the NBA's Sonics, maybe it's another NHL team like the Coyotes. But they will offer free rent to these teams (like they did with the Penguins), and someone will take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted