1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville Predators moving to Canada? NOPE! Sorry, Canucks (and KC!)...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 23, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Re: Nashville Predators moving to Canada? Sure seems like it...

Good question. If the support is there -- relative to other NHL cities that is -- there should be no grounds to move it.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nashville was a start up, not a team that moved.

The Preds fanboards are lit up, 11 pages already on this. The word is the team will play next season in Nashville, then who knows?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seriously, with all the pub NBC Dateline have had with their hidden-camera show, this is a team in a serious need of a name change.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Preds fans aren't happy about this.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Eh, It's not like they're called the Nashville Kiddie-Fiddlers.

The team is named the Predators because back in 1971 they found a sabre-toothed tiger skull in the city. And lets face it, Sabercats is a nickname that is only appropriate for Arena Football (Hi San Jose!)

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Predators do not get support unless they win, and win a lot. Nashville has no right to cry if they leave.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know, I'm really surprised at that. I mean, it's not like they had a good team and coach that was making inroads into the community.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't blame the Nashville fans. I would blame the business community.

Nashville has one of the weirdest setups I've ever seen -- the upper level would be full of fans, while the lower level (where corporations buy tickets) was empty. If attendance drops under 14,000 next year, a virtual certainty, the lease can be broken.

Bettman badly wants this team to go to Kansas City. It wouldn't need to move divisions, natural rivalry with St. Louis & Chicago, but I don't know what Balsillie's plans are.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Why is it that when fans in Boston, Chicago and other traditional areas don't show up, they're hockey intelligencia, and when they don't in Nashville or any sun belt city, they don't appreciate having a team. You need to let a team get a hold in the community. The Preds have been there for less than 10 years.

They've been regularly getting sellouts in a 17,000 seat arena for the past couple of seasons. They are making progress, like others before them like the Stars, Lightning and others. But now they're probably gone.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A school district in suburban Detroit split the district from 2 to 3 schools four or five years ago... right about the time of the Catholic priest pedophilia revelations....
    District changed the school mascot from the Predators to the Wildcats for just that reason...

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Quebec was in the Eastern Conference, they moved to the Western Conference when the team moved to Denver. Eventually, the NHL moved Toronto to the Eastern Conference.

I'm not convinced this means the Preds are moving. The support seems strong, if not growing. And while the Gaylord Center is nothing to shout about, it is relatively new. My guess is they will stay in Nashville for the foreseeable future.

12. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

The arena was without a name most of the season. They just sold the naming rights and it will be called the Sommet Center (pronounced Sommay) now.

In regards to the escape clause, I believe its more like if they don't break the 14K mark in attendance, they have to offer the city a chance to buy enough tickets to make that mark. Then, if the city declines, the team can buy out of the lease for $8 million.

Draft saved Draft deleted