1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville for a newbie....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Especially the drunk girls.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I thought Acme was OK, perhaps a bit overrated.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Art Garfunkel was at the Ryman last time I was there. Saw some people leaving after the showed ended. They were highly disappointed because he did a lot of poetry.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ok, as the resident native I have to admit this list is pretty spot-on.

But Nashville's not all about music and mayhem; if you want to get a look at Antebellum South – including from the slaves' perspective – Belle Meade Mansion is about 15 minutes down Broadway and is pretty interesting. Be sure to check out the bathtub that lardass President Taft got stuck in, and the horse barn whose lineage includes more Kentucky Derby winners than anywhere else.

And since you're on Broadway, you really need to visit the Parthenon; as one boneheaded former mayor told the prime minister of Greece, "I prefer ours over yours because ours is still standing." The Athena statue inside is really cool.

As for food, if you do the hot chicken thing Nashville is oddly now famous for, you really need to do it at Hattie B's; I think they claim to invent it, but then again I think the Pancake Pantry claims to have invented pancakes and it's the most overrated spot in town.

Not overrated: Arnold's and/or Swetts. You really can't say you've done Nashville if you haven't hit one of those two meat-and-threes, @qtlaw.

qtlaw and OscarMadison like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

F- Hattie Bs, it's Prince's for hot chicken, which has been around a hell of a lot longer than 2012.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Fantastic stuff T Vols!! Thanks again to others too.

7. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Yes, Hattie B's is way overrated. Average fried chicken with hot sauce of some kind and mediocre fast-food fries. Once again marketing wins over actual taste.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ya buried the lede.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

McDougal's has heavenly chicken fingers.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There was a bar along Songwriters Row or whatever that is open very early and sold $2 tall boys. The place was half filled before noon. I bought a CD of original songs performed by unsigned artists who were regulars. Also, try to find Hank Williams III. I was unsuccessful on my trip to Nashville.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bobby's Idle Hour. It's moved recently, so I can't vouch for it.
    Bobby's Idle Hour – Music Row's Neighborhood Bar in Nashville, TN

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

what about taking a walk across the Vanderbilt campus, which has its own arboretum and arguably some of the hottest coeds (who are now returning to school) in the nation? Come for the trees, stay for the Tri Delts.

Draft saved Draft deleted