1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nash's divorce/family issues in spotlight - is this news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dispatch1234...isthison?, May 31, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The San Antonio paper is writing about Duncan's divorce -- and that is quite a bit less controversial than this and the filing even excluded Duncan's name and his wife's. I don't know how serious they were about really trying to shield it, though, because "T.T.D." asked for a delay for "30 days following the first work day following the San Antonio Spurs' last playoff game (whenever that might be)."

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, a little different. The San Antonio paper broke the news that he was getting a divorce. And it's a different market there. Smaller. Only pro franchise in town. The marquee player.

In L.A., the Nash situation is a collective yawn.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember when it was a big controversy during one of Frank Thomas' last seasons in Chicago when he was struggling and one of the writers wrote that Thomas was taking a separation or divorce very hard and it was affecting his play. There was a discussion at APSE that said, "Thomas getting divorced is not news, but when coaches were implying that it was impacting his play, then it became newsworthy."

A lot has changed since then.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're right about that. However, if this were 1990, I doubt we would have read that story.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if there's no alleged rape or a $1 million apology diamond involved, I could see how this one wouldn't register... :D

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Of course not. Not only was the environment different, so were the resources.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

There is no question it is news, but it is not news-worthy in most necks of the woods. It is of interest to national outlets and to the LA and Phoenix markets. Won't see the light of day in my paper here in the Southeast. But we did run a brief on the Bryant story because of the oddity of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted