1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nash's divorce/family issues in spotlight - is this news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dispatch1234...isthison?, May 31, 2013.

1. This article makes a thin attempt to connect the primary topic (Nash's family issues) to the impact his decisions have on the short-term future of the Lakers.

Is this news? I think this crosses the line, and has no business (a) as the No. 1 story on the USA Today Sports website or (b) being covered at all. I don't see how this is connected to his public role as a member of the L.A. Lakers.

Nash fights to keep ex-wife from moving
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/05/30/steve-nash-ex-wife-court-phoenix-suns-los-angeles-lakers/2373997/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't know why that would merit a story. It's private stuff. There's nothing resembling news in the story.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a public court case involving a well-known celebrity. It's news by any definition.

It's also a fairly interesting story -- she is trying to move to California solely because she can't get child support in Arizona, and he is trying to stop her for that reason.

4. Why does Nash get a say in where Jason Richardson's son lives?

5. Mizzougrad96

It was interesting that he doesn't pay child support. I wonder how he swung that unless he paid her a lump sum settlement.

6. LongTimeListener

Yeah, I think it was TMZ that said she got millions in the settlement and he pays for the kids' medical and I think their tuition. There is no earthly reason she would need child support beyond that.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, but most get it anyway...

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He pays for the kids' education and health insurance, so there is some support.

Also ... she signed the divorce agreement, of which she certainly got a lump sum.

Is it news? Not really, but the public is always fascinated by stuff like this, it seems.

9. He doesn't pay child support, but he does pay an unknown amount for child-raising expenses (private school in AZ among them).

I don't see how this impacts the Lakers at all, and as there is no comment from Nash or a Lakers rep (or a pundit) about whatever impact there might be (but isn't) on the Lakers, this isn't a story - and it certainly isn't a

He's a public figure, to an extent - but what a court approved regarding the care of his children is not generally for public consumption. Yes, it's a public court case, but good grief there ought to be a line drawn somewhere and this was way past it. There's no domestic violence or any other "hot button" issue raised and, for the sake of the kids, should not be in the sports pages.

10. LongTimeListener

Maybe in 1965. But nowadays that horse has left the barn, won the Triple Crown, come back to the barn and retired to stud.

"News" is an evolving concept. In 2013 there is no argument about whether it's news.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, it's news... I don't know that it merited the coverage that it got, but he is a public figure... It will be interesting if any of the LA papers write more than a brief on it...

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I argued with a guy last night about this. He refused to consider that it was news, even when I pointed out, "Well, we ran a story about Kobe Bryant suing his mother, why wouldn't we run this?"

About six hours later, after he saw it all over the web, he acknowledged that, yeah, maybe we should have it on our site too. Uh, you think?

Draft saved Draft deleted