1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR's new TV contract -- goodbye ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/report-espn-turner-nascar-next-season-fox-nbc-155612581.html

Sports Business Journal reporting that in 2015, Fox and NBC (and NBC Sports Network) will split NASCAR schedule, with ESPN and Turner out.

As an open-wheel fan, I much prefer NBC Sports Network coverage of Indy to ESPN/ABC. Of course, the issue, as always, when you step away from ESPN is suddenly you barely exist on SportsCenter.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

If they think it's getting better, let's not forget NBC's coverage inspired the joke at the end of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLFqobvgO4Q

Which is, by the way, my favorite joke in the movie.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There goes the NASCAR stories in ESPN the MAG

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ugh, I thought NBC was glad to be rid of that sport.

I wonder how this will affect their coverage of other events, such as the PGA Tour, in the fall? The have NFL games on Sunday night, but have an opening on Sunday afternoons for something, which is where the FedEx Cup playoff tournaments are now in September.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since NBC Universal owns NBC, NBC Sports Network, and the Golf Channel, they won't have any trouble scheduling the two sports on the same day.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Aren't Sportscenter ratings down anyway? If fewer people are watching, not being on there would seem not to matter.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

NBC now has NASCAR, Indy and F1.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I look forward to the ESPN The Magazine article "Auto Racing: Sport? Not A Sport?"

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Chris Berman can fix this.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Interesting pick for NASCAR. Must have felt like it gets lost on ESPN.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe stuff like this is part of the reason. I can't even remember the last time I watched Sportscenter at home.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

NBC offering to pay a 50 percent premium on what ESPN's paying -- given, NBC will get a few more races than ESPN has -- is what this is about.

As long as Bill Weber doesn't return to our TV screens ...

Draft saved Draft deleted