1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR writer Ed Hinton leaves Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lono

lono Active Member

So how many new local reporters are they going to hire?

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Just saying. Ed worked for Doria at The National.

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Could this have been a situation where they just let Ed know which way the wind was blowing?

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Given the spree they've been on; the fact that Mr. Hinton is pretty much unrivalled in the field; and the fact that ESPN now owns the broadcast rights to the sport, it makes perfect sense.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Right on target, Hoops.

If there was a media outlet that covered the newspaper business like newspapers cover government, politics and business, newspapers would be exposed as frauds. NOBODY is losing money. They're just not making ENOUGH money. If the readers _ and they're READERS not CONSUMERS _ had this explained to them everybody would lose even more circulation. Local coverage = cheaper coverage.

I hope when and if there's a big NASCAR story the Trib or Orlando tries to scramble to have someone cover it, someone who doesn't know who to call or doesn't get calls returned from the NASCAR sources that Hinton has.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What he's probably saying is that TribCorp newsrooms weren't allowed to submit a budget for this fiscal year because it might change to a lower number after Zell took control.

7. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I'm hoping Lynn can come make a cameo here (like he always does) to help us out with the justification here.

Seems moronic to me.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If managers had to justify every moronic decision by their industry overlords, they'd never get any work done.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True, Ace. I'm sure Lynn doesn't enjoy it any more than the readers that Ed Hinton and Steve Elling have left in the past year. (Yes, I know the two cases are completely different, but in terms of losing two heavy hitters on beats...wow.)

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

FWIW, this was an Orlando decision. Chicago wanted to keep him.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The reactions to that horseshit memo are right on target, thank you very much.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Wording nit to pick here, too (I'm on a roll of late):

Why do we have to "produce" local news? We don't "produce" news. We report it. The people we cover produce the news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.