1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR writer Ed Hinton leaves Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

<a href="http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13032">
    According to this memo posted on Romenesko, he's making the move after the decision was made to cover NASCAR less to focus on local coverage.</a>

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Heard about this yesterday. Crazy. When the push toward "local" costs you a guy with the experience of Hinton, then maybe we need to take a little closer look.

3. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

Hinton resigns from Tribune after NASCAR coverage cut

From Romenesko and Poynter:

Hinton resigns as Tribune newspapers cut NASCAR coverage
    Romenesko Memos | Wikipedia
    Ed Hinton, described as "the best NASCAR writer in the nation," leaves the Tribune Co. as the Orlando Sentinel sports staff is told in a memo: "With the increasing demand to produce local news, we've decided to eliminate our national NASCAR coverage and focus more on local sports coverage. Following a joint decision by the Sentinel, Chicago Tribune and the Sun-Sentinel, we won't be covering as many NASCAR races and will spend more of our budget on local news."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan, but NASCAR is one of the few sports that really brings readers to the paper. Doing less with NASCAR and more local is a lose-lose.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Re: Hinton resigns from Tribune after NASCAR coverage cut

I could maybe see the Trib cutting NASCAR coverage, but the Sentinel cutting NASCAR coverage is stupid3.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of it was a "joint" decision and how much of it was Chicago saying it was time for national Nascar coverage to go.
    And what does that mean?
    Will Orlando no longer cover the Daytona 500? Or does it mean that they'll still cover the races they can drive to, but the ones that they have to fly to are gone?
    The only thing I know is screwing with Nascar coverage is akin to fiddling with the comics and obits. Guaranteed to cause trouble.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

I'm sure he'll find a good place to work very soon. He's one of the best NASCAR guys in the nation _ we use his stuff all of the time.

Stupid decision by the Trib chain.

8. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Ed won't be without a job for long.

It's business and bottom line, but it still sucks.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

I have a feeling the new management team at TribCorp has a lot to do with this.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to private ownership with the Trib.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

This is a shame, I hope Hinton had something lined up before he resigned.

I wonder if Hinton will try to find a spot where he's more of a general auto racing writer. He's just as good at non-NASCAR stuff as he is NASCAR.

12. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

dang. hate that for Ed, he's one of the best out there on the nascar beat.

Unfortunately, I think you'll see a lot more of this business of more papers leaning on the wires for racing coverage. Heck, Atlanta doesn't go on the road for racing anymore.

At our place here, we decided this year to cut costs that it wasn't worth the $$$ to have a NASCAR preview section or cover the media tour or the daytona 500.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.