1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR TV Analyst Larry McReynolds Asks for Positive Coverage,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Jan 25, 2011.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

First visit was at Talladega in '81, Shoeless.

I'd love to see more personalities like the old days, drivers duking it out, and a loss of the private haulers. All the fans and sponsor hangers-on could be removed from the garage area, too.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

So is this thread replacing the 'Running 2011 NASCAR thread' under sports as the running 2011 NASCAR thread? I think that one was somewhere in Lake Lloyd at last sighting. ;D

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Well said. And that only touches the surface of the number of problems with NASCAR.
    I could see doing a triple crown type thing of longer races, i.e. Daytona 500, World 600 and Southern 500. Beyond that, cut some distances. Of course if the tracks and NASCAR were nice they would cut ticket prices accordingly but we all know that will never happen.
    I never understood why so many tracks got two dates, especially in the late 1990s when so many tracks wanted a Cup date. And the politics of the newer tracks getting second dates (Fontana? Really?) is beyond stupid. I like how it used to be 29 races. Move the Shootout and The Winston the All-Star race to the regular race weekends, maybe Friday night shows and have nearly half the year off. As it is, the sport is way oversaturated.
    As for the Nationwide Series, NASCAR could have done something about it many years ago but chose not to, instead allowing Cup teams to turn it into a joke. In the old days up-and-coming young drivers would have 10+ Cup guys to compete with at big races like Daytona, no Cup guys when the two series were at different places and maybe 3-4 Cup guys on a typical weekend. And usually the Cup guys like Earnhardt and Gant had basically a hobby team with a few friends helping out, as opposed to top-notch teams and cars just like in Cup. The Busch regulars could learn how to run with the big boys and not have to just hope to maybe get a top-10. Didn't Hendrick go after Gordon at least in part because he saw how great Gordon did against Earnhardt and Gant at Atlanta in March 1992? Nowadays a young driver like that would be racing against 10+ full fledged Cup Lite efforts from RCR, Roush, Gibbs, etc.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

In a year when a track loses a race, then yes it is a story. A small story.
    I have a problem with full-blown stories on how attendance is down every year from every track NASCAR visits. It seems the attendance at Fontana was more important to the journalists covering the race than the actual race. I got tired of it. I can't imagine how quickly fans got tired of reading about the attendance figures at Fontana.
    Even though I am interested in seeing how many people show up to Fontana knowing it will be their only chance to watch a NASCAR this year, I don't think the average fan cares. I wouldn't spend too much time writing a story on it. It doesn't serve the readers very well.

Draft saved Draft deleted