1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR Scene and SceneDaily.com layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NBrom, Jan 5, 2010.

1. NBrom

NBrom New Member

apparently there were some big layoffs today over there. Jeff Gluck posted on twitter that he was one of the victims

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Their season starts in just a few weeks.

Damn economy.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's a long list of REALLY good people. With the cuts that came down today, I'd be surprised if they planned to continue doing the magazine. The cuts reek of a place going online-only that thinks it won't need nearly as much manpower to do that.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

So who got the ax?

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, why do publishers and editors believe they can produce a lot of copy and quality information with fewer resources with an online presence compared to print?

Eliminating resources and staff hurts, no matter what the product is for consumers. If you need five sports writers to cover your area for print, why do you believe two can get the job done the same way for the web?

It's just fucking stupid.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A lot of very good journalists, and most of all, good people. I visited their office last April while doing a series on the history of Charlotte Motor Speedway -- and guys like Steve Waid and Ben White sat down and chatted with me, then allowed me to dig through their storeroom filled with cardboard boxes of back issues.

Lee Montgomery hinted at the Truck banquet that this was a real possibility, that the company had met earlier in the year to discuss the dire financial situation. Very sad for those folks today.

For Bob Pockrass and the others still there, hang in there and hopefully we'll see you at Daytona.

My prayers ... and best wishes.

-- Mark

7. smithsonryan

smithsonryan New Member

There is going to be some severe backlash over this in the NASCAR community because every one of those people was respected. Rea and Ben were the nicest people, period; Steve was one of the funniest; etc.

Basically, what Mark said. There wasn't a group that loved the pure sport more than them.

I know guys like Bob are happy to have a job, but that place will be bad without those wonderful people.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Aww, fuck. LOT of really good people on this list. Dammit.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Another great pub goes down the crapper -- or at least begins circling the rim. Shit.

10. imjustagirl

This.

The list I have, which may or may not be complete. And a lot of my best times in media centers were spent with some combination of these people.

Lee Montgomery
    Rea White
    Jeff Gluck
    Mike Hembree
    David Exum
    Jared Turner
    David Griffith
    Ben White
    Steve Waid

11. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Wow ... that's a LOT of their editorial staff ...

Waid was one of the paper's founding staffers .... Ben White had been there nearly 20 years ... Hembree is an award-winning writer, as was Rea and Lee ...

Sounds like that leaves, what ... 3-4 people left on the writing side?

12. imjustagirl

By my count, Pockrass, Kenny Bruce, Kris Johnson and Jeff Owens.

Draft saved Draft deleted