1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Re: 2011 NASCAR running thread

Let's see if Trevor will "customize" his car the way Sterling Marlin did for a race at Bristol.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was rare for the teammates to push each other. Hell, Bayne was pushing Gordon (Ford on Chevy) for most of the second Duel on Thursday. Bobby Labonte in a Toyota pushed Bayne (Ford) to the win today.

3. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

If you didn't already realize this was a monumental upset, you did after watching Dale Jr's post-race interview, when he couldn't even remember Bayne's name.

I loved seeing so many drivers make the trip to Victory Lane to congratulate the #21 team.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I think the woman interviewing him in Victory Lane called him "Travis" on first reference.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

From a storyline perspective? Awesome. 20-year-old kid wins in second-ever start for one of the most famous teams in NASCAR history.

But the greatest Daytona 500 in history, as many folks have been writing? You have got to be kidding me. Yeah, record-number lead changes blah blah blah. That wreckfest was the second-slowest 500 in history. Three-fourths of the top contenders were in the garage by lap 30.

It was bungee-cord racing, NASCAR's version of the Hanford device. A gimmick that created a lot of false excitement. I don't know if the fan in the grandstands found it nearly as exciting as the announcers on TV.

It's as if Marty Roth won the Indy 500 driving for A.J. Foyt Racing in a stirring battle with Mike Conway and Sarah Fisher, because all of the Penske and Ganassi cars were wiped out early in the race.

Yeah, the 1992 Indy 500 had one of the greatest finishes of all time, but it was a dog of a race.

I'll be glad to get back to "racing" at Phoenix next weekend.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well the fans aren't getting paid to be "excited."

And he's not a kid! He's not even a teen any more!!!!! :D

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

maumann puts into words what I tried to say.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Those guys in the Michigan grandstand that got hit by the tire thought it was plenty exciting.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure when I covered some lower level NASCAR races in Iowa around 2007 or 2008 that Bayne was driving a DEI Chevy as part of a Chevy driver development program. Maybe Ford has finally gotten its revenge for Chevy/Hendrick taking Gordon away.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

So did Maude Flanders.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Second-slowest? OK, I thought it was just me. I did an entire day's worth of errands between watching the start and finish. All that was missing was a finish under the lights, and the only reason that didn't happen was because it had a reasonable starting time around 1:25.

Daytona is one thing, but NASCAR has got to reel in the 500-mile slogfests.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I wonder if David Ragan has finally seen the replay of the jumped start on the first green-white-checkered that cost him the 500.

A monumental screwup. I know you're excited that you're leading the biggest race of your life with two to go, but you have to be smarter than that simply because so much on the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted