1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Re: 2011 NASCAR running thread

Eh, the racing really didn't do anything for me. You're playing roulette and if you're lucky, you hook up with the right person.

That's my uneducated view on it. Glad to see the Woods return to victory lane, though.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Good for a Nationwide full-timer to win the Daytona 500.

[​IMG]
    (credit: Autostock)

Also, three NASCAR races, three in which the winner accumulated no points. Kudos on a simplified points system!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Wasn't a work of art, but that's the current state of restrictor plate racing. It was different, interesting,sort of fun (IMO). Just cool to see the 21 in Victory Lane. Good, old, racin' folk (the Woods, that is).

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Great stuff for the Wood Brothers. Outstanding.

And the first time I had ever heard of Trevor Bayne was a certain board poster's son, who had briefly mentioned him once when I was staying with the poster and his family. Heady stuff ... and I wonder if they remember? ;)

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Congratulations Trevor Bayne.

I was standing in the middle of the living room cheering and driving as hard as he was.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As was this fellow Tennessean. Happiest I've been to see a winner since Sterlin' !

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

(break out a chorus of Rocky Top)

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

You called it, Joe. :)

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Admittedly, I'm not a NASCAR fan. Always been more of an open-wheel fan (although, auto racing is low on the list of sports).

But, that really wasn't racing. You got teammates pushing each other, instead of trying to pass each other? Is that just what racing has become now? Are all NASCAR races like that now?

AJ Foyt, Richard Petty would be turning over in their graves (if they were dead).

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I listened to the final laps on radio on the way to a short meeting. Folks may say that Junior must have bad luck after getting his tires switched out and then got caught up in another wreck today near the end.

Is it me or do I think that it's time that the excuses (wicked stepmom, incompetent crew chief, bad car, etc) are no longer the reasons why he can't win, beyond the bad luck?

I bring it up because Quad City Times writer Nate Bloomquist just inserted a thorn in the side of Junior fans with this column: http://qctimes.com/sports/columnists/article_efcf6d10-3c7c-11e0-9ab8-001cc4c03286.html

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I just couldn't get hooked on the two-man dance today. I always liked the guilty pleasure of plate racing and the 30-car pack of nail-biting. The commentators tried so hard to sell the "two-man drafting is harder", all the dealmaking, etc., etc., but i wasn't buying.

Great winner in Bayne though. If Junior couldn't win, a young'un was the next best script for NASCAR.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

That was my feeling ... different, interesting, sort of fun.
    Happy to see a young kid win such a big race.

Draft saved Draft deleted