1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR reporter, Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportschick, Jan 4, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Lynn Hoppes posted this over on the Ed Hinton thread, but I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Oh, I suppose I'll ask the question ... how many NASCAR events would this reporter cover? And, of course, the GA part ... is that enterprise, or fill in the gaps stuff (No. 3 guy at a NFL game, No. 2 or 3 at a bowl, etc.).

3. Usually Orlando Sentinel job threads get heavy traffic and replies. Not so with this one. Is there a reason?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think it got played out on the previous thread with everyone blasting Tribune for the NASCAR decision. Regardless, this does sound like an interesting position.

5. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

I would imagine that this job would entail about 10-15 races a year, but that's a guess on my part.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Whoever gets this job better get used to hearing...

"He's nowhere close to being as good as his predecessor..."

I love the Sentinel, but their golf and NASCAR coverage (both of which used to be outstanding) have taken brutal hits in the last six months or so...

It's sad...

7. I know someone who would be perfect for this. Hopefully he has already sent in his materials. He is a contributer to the board, but screen name escapes me at the moment.

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

any rumblings of movement on this one so far?

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'd be very impressed if it's still 10-15 races. Maybe 10-15 races every 2-3 years.

10. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

What about Chicago? Heard they were honing in on someone locally?

11. I guess I missed the day when the Orlando Sentinel started sucking.

This sounds like a swell job.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Then you missed the multi-page discussion that resulted when the Sentinel's upper management decided that Ed Hinton is somehow not worth what he's really worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted