1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Jun 21, 2006.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm at the bar and all the TVs are on without sound. Speedvision is showing a NASCAR race and every car had the letter "N" after the number. This was both on the car and on the graphics. I've never noticed that before. What is up with the "N"?

Thanks for helping out a curious Canuck.

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I'm guessing it's the Hooters ProCup race from Indy Raceway Park last Saturday.
    The N would designate the Northern Division drivers.
    It's my understanding that drivers can race both Southern and Northern Division races and accumulate points toward the five-race Championship Series at the end of the year.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not a NASCAR race, but similar cars sanctioned by United Speed Alliance Racing. It's called the Hooters Pro Cup Series, which runs north (N) and south (S) divisions.

It's roughly analogous to ARCA in that it's not NASCAR but looks just like it. ARCA is probably a step above USAR, due mainly to the fact that ARCA runs larger speedways and USAR is all short track.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i thought it was for "'neck"

5. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Wouldn't they have been better served with an "R" for redneck, Hoops? I'm sure it won't take Boom long to pop in and say so!

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought it was short for "number" so all the fans would understand what those funny symbols were. :)

7. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

yeah yeah yeah :mad:

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It was a joke.

Payback for that Sorenson (sp?) column on the Hurricanes Stanley Cup win.

9. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

OK, deal. That's a fair trade.

Of course, my problem is with Carolina fans, not hockey fans. 30,000 at the freaking Cup rally? I couldn't believe that. How many do you think they would have had in Edmonton for the celebration?

When Colorado won its first Cup, first pro sports title in the state (just like NC), they had 450,000 show up. I'm serious, look it up.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How many in Edmonton?

Beef and 500,000 of his closest friends.

I don't know but 30,000 doesn't sound too bad.

When Bettman dropped hockey into the south and the Whalers moved down there, the sport was mostly a fish out of water, don't you think?

I mean, how many adults in Carolina have ever played hockey? I suspect very few, so there's an absolute disconnect.

There's no point of reference as to what makes the sport exciting--and difficult.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My thanks to the SportsJournalists.com brothers for their assistance. I am sending you each a cyber pint of Keiths.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The N stands for nowledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted