1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR has Lost Its Soul

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I never said anyting remotely like that.

In conversation with them both, they referred to the sacrifice Adam made, and they made, to make the sport safer. His death, along with Kenny Irwin's, and finally Dale Earnhardt's, was what at last moved NASCAR to adopt the sort of safety regulations other major racing series regarded as commonplace.

2. IU90

IU90 Member

Can't say I agree with that, I think NASCAR's done a remarkable job the last 15-20 years of going national (and international) and transcending the just a southern good-ole-boy sport image it once had. I mean the difference in that regard now from where it was in the 70s & 80s is rather stunning.

I've kind of thought the stalling of NASCAR's climbing popularity was inevitable simply because there's only so far you can rise with a sport that consists primarily of endless left turns for most viewers. No matter how well they market and run the sport, its never gonna be as fun to watch as a sport like football. I think this may be a case where NASCAR's simply starting to hit its popularity potential ceiling.

3. A few points ....

1. NASCAR is a business first, foremost, and forever. Sponsors have such tremendous leverage that they call many of the shots (such as the top 35 rule). Ask any sports business analyst who knows his stuff -- NASCAR is the gold standard of sports when it comes to sponsorships, providing more value than any other league.

2. The biggest year NASCAR ever had was 2001, in the wake of Dale Earnhardt's death. Even before he died, that Daytona 500 -- featuring the debut of Fox as a television partner and the return of Dodge -- drew more national media than any before. Earnhardt's death was the sports story of the year, and it catapulted NASCAR into boardrooms and editorial offices where it had been only a minimal presence before.

3. This "decline" isn't nearly as bad as the one the NBA went through in the early 2000s, and can like be attributed to one factor: slumping Dale Jr. Like Tiger and golf, ratings go up when he's in contention -- look at Texas last week, which produced the sport's best TV number in a month. Why? The 8 car was up front for most of it. Say what you want about Brian France and his initiatives, but don't kick dirt on the body yet. This is a looooong way from falling to the level of the NHL.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Great get, Buckweave! You found the Kurt Busch Kraftwerk Trans Europe Express album cover picture.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why would nascar be included on a sports board?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It will take an external diversity among the drivers to have ANY chance of accomplishing that.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What was Bill France's answer when you asked him why NASCAR does not ban the dispaly of confederate flag at their events?

Have you ever asked any of the drivers their opinion of display of confederate flag?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I get such a kick out of people who don't know anything about the NHL but still love to beak off about its situation being a bad thing.

9. the fop

the fop Member

Surprised it isn't N.A.S.C.A.R. Everytime I see an N.F.L. or N.C.A.A. in the Times, I'm struck by how out of touch they seem for not using more familiar, conversational forms.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

NASCAR fans usually look down upon "bumblebee" racing, so the open wheel portion doesn't hold as much water as you think.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The only problem with the NHL is that Gary Bettman set the expectations too high.

His whole basis for league success was based on getting a major TV deal. Anything less was viewed a a failure.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I totally agree with your assessment. The thing is, the league will survive quite well without a big TV contract, and so many people just don't get that. That doesn't stop them, however, from chirping like they have any sort of a clue.

It's true that some NHL franchises may not survive in their current forms, if at all, but even that shouldn't necessarily be seen as a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted