1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR has Lost Its Soul

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Let's look at all who IS quoted in this story?
    Humpy Wheeler
    John Saunders
    A NY republican
    John Henry via email
    Robin Pemberton
    Ken Schrader and Kyle Petty -- the ONLY drivers sourced.

Thing is, I want MORE driver's input, not just Petty's and I honestly had forgotten Schrader was quoted. How about any recent champion? Tony Stewart would be a good one since he's won on multiple levels, Rusty Wallace, David Pearson, hell, Richard Petty himself.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Roush was quoted, too.

Why would you quote drivers at all in this piece? It's primarily a business story. To the degree that it includes a brief nod to NASCAR culture - insofar as culture is a big part of what NASCAR sells - why would you ask Tony Stewart about the changing macroeconomics of NASCAR?

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

A business story? You don't think NASCAR as a whole is a business? Look at Petty's last quote about marketing Cokes. Marketing = business. And these guys are more businessmen now than any of the older drivers were/are. Just look at the ones who have college degrees like Newman and Kenseth.

It's late, it's been a long day. I'll get back to this discussion tomorrow when I can formulate my opinions more clearly. Long story short = shoulda interviewed more drivers. Period. That's my opinion. You ain't changin it. Period.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Let's not go overboard. Kyle has sacrificed a lot since his son's death, but it's not like he shoved Adam into the ash burner.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Damned if that doesn't say it all right there:

"Hey, the drivers don't matter - they're just here to drive, smile nice for the cameras and, on those rare occasions when we allow them to speak, insert at least one sponsor name in every sentence."

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ask Kyle about it some time. Or better yet, ask Pattie, and let her describe the terms they use to express and understand Adam's death.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Not all stories, Double J, this story. This story doesn't need more drivers' voices - it needs France family voices.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Of course I think NASCAR's a business. Could the piece use more quotes from drivers? Maybe. Does it need the voice of the France family in it? Definitely.

It's obviously very late and we're writing past one another here. So I'll go back to my original point regarding your Kyle Petty post: How does his won/lost record have anything to do with his ability to comment intelligently on the current state of the sport?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Muahahahahaha. Before the ear-pinning too.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Two other points to ponder:

1. NASCAR's rise coincided perfectly with Indy pres Tony George and the leaders of CART engaging in a lemming-like competition to see who could destroy open-wheel racing first.

2. There was a lot of unrest among sports fans with athletes in stick-and-ball sports, especially baseball with no World Series in 1994.

Add those two up, and NASCAR got a lot of low-hanging fruit among disenfranchised sports fans.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

By your logic, the NFL should be shortened to FL. Or, F.L., if you will. (Another semi-rant: The whole N.F.L. thing bothers me, too. The league name is not National. Football. League. Though some might want it to be so.)

Sure they made it longer than it had to be. But that's their perogative, isn't it? If you're starting a sports league, you want to make its name as grandiose and memorable as you can, which is why words like "National" "American" and "Major" appear in every one of them. Does the paper still call it Charlotte Motor Speedway? My thought is that it's a proper name, and that the paper doesn't have the right to change a proper name. And sure, the counter is that an acronym isn't a proper name (and we can argue both sides of THAT, too; the league branded its logo with all caps), and beyond that, the France family doesn't decide what goes in the paper. Round and round we go. And that's fine. The world will keep spinning too.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How many papers called it The Great American Speedway last week vs. Texas Motor Speedway?

If they really said that Adam was sacrificed so that the family could keep the tradition going ...

I'll have to Google up some quotes later.

Draft saved Draft deleted