1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR has Lost Its Soul

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 17, 2007.

1. NASCAR, for all of its identity problems, is far less of a regional sport than the NHL is.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

NHL has much bigger northeast presense than NASCAR who has tried to gain greater access and so far failed.

Biggest event for NASCAR in NYC is their annual race week/ awards dinner held at Waldorf

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Another possibly bullshit reason is the sheer length of the acronym.

Acronyms are supposed to be short.

NASCAR loves its acronym because it stands out in print like nothing else. It practically screams in headlines. And it's so damn long that nobody calls it by its letters . . . which is the purpose of having acronyms.

NYT may be saying, "if you won't shorten it, we'll cut it down to size."

What NASCAR is trying to do with that wordy acronym is much like the guys in the Yellow Pages who call their plumbing company "A AAACHEN Plumbing" . . . just so they can be the first listing.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Everyone was aware, of course, that as of last season, we were supposed to start calling their championship series the NEXTEL CUP? All caps.

F-that. LMAO.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Maybe so, Boom, but in the South, it's more than inverted.

Count the number of NASCAR decals on cars and souvenir T-shirts and jackets and compare them to the number of fans for the Carolina Hurricanes, Atlanta Thrashers, Nashville Predators among the other hockey organizations in the South - or the traditional market fans displaced to the region, for that matter.

The difference is staggering. The race fans would lap the hockey following, and there aren't enough yellow flags and lucky dogs to offset this disparity.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Petty had the best quote in the USA Today story, too, and it gets to what I think is the heart of the matter, oversaturation: "I'm an idiot, and this is all I've ever done, but my God, 36 freaking races a year? Even I'm not going to tune in every week."

Now, all the Busch Series races, I believe, are on Fox and cable.

There's only so much air you can pump into that tire.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't disagree, Joe. The schedule is a problem, but where do you fix? They can't cut down from 36 races anymore than MLB can go back to 154 games or the NFL to 14. That's all bucks. Ditto for their yearning to get into Seattle, NYC, etc.

I think the problem is the 500 mile or 500-lap races almost every week. Find me one diehard fan who doesn't catnap on the couch during at least a dozen races a year and I'll show you an insomniac. Maybe they think a 250-mile/lap race would be wussing out or something, but it sure would be a nice diversion. Watch a Craftsman Truck race some week, it's an absolutely perfect length.

As for "losing its soul", I don't really buy that. They had to turn their back on some of the southern roots to become national; they couldn't have it both ways. They're erring on the side of being too national (i.e. two races at Calif), but as a business model it's tough to fault them for that. They're printing money.

But if you're talking credibility...I need some kind of raceday officiating body. Nascar gets to write their rule book, but then an independent agency enforces it from week to week. I don't want to know that the Frances/Heltons/etc. are in the tower on Sundays pulling the strings.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A sport that turns its back on its own history, as NASCAR did dumping when it dumped Rockingham and moved Darlington from Labor Day weekend, is a sport asking for trouble.
    On the other hand, NASCAR is still enormously popular. No huiman endeavor enjoys endless growth.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bullfuckingshit.

Dale Earnhardt.

Seventeen years ago, nobody gave a shit about Jeff Gordon outside of the USAC tracks. Even as a Cup rookie, he was still more a "who?" than a "Oh yeah, him." He didn't have the recognition Tony Stewart did as a rookie because Stewart accomplished significantly more in the open wheel ranks.

NASCAR's rise in the 1980s and 1990s can be traced directly to Earnhardt. Its current decline can be traced directly to the moment Earnhardt died at Daytona.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tony Stewart would have.

(At least, he would have had the Times interviewed him.)

No mention of anybody named Earnhardt, either. Two key mistakes by Juliet Macur, who of all people should know better than that.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I miss Dale Earnhardt, Sr. Talk about a guy who did his thing and didn't give a shit what anyone else thought. What happened to guys like that? I wonder how he would have handled the crossover shit. I'd like to think he still would have done his thing, but these days, with all the money, who knows?

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, wasn't there a spike in interest after Earnhardt died? Certainly, NASCAR did all it could to milk his legacy, almost as much as the Cubs have done with Harry Caray.

Earnhardt drove for years, and nobody north of Paducah gave two shits. Jeff Gordon winning at the inaugural Brickyard was huge for NASCAR's crossover -- a northern driver winning at a track at least people who had never followed racing had heard of.

Draft saved Draft deleted