1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR channels their inner-NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, May 22, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Driver Carl Long suspended for 12 races, docked 200 points and fined $200,000 for an illegal engine by NASCAR. A tough penalty.

Thing is, his engine was illegal by .0.17 cubic inches. It was 358.17 cubic inches instead of 358.

I understand NASCAR wanting to enforce the rules. But this strikes me as a USC getting a scholarship taken away for paying players, while Cleveland State gets the death penalty for a fan giving a player a ride home while it's raining.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=Am0H5XtwFLvJuuj0rUGGfeDTv7YF?slug=ap-nascar-charlotte&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, in NASCAR, .17 cubic inches is a lot.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Very true, IJAG. Still, you think Junior, Gordon or Johnson would get this penalty?

Maybe they would. I doubt it.

4. imjustagirl

I don't think they're stupid enough to fuck with the size of their engines.

There are certain things that are no-nos. Fucking with bits and pieces of the engine, fine. Wink wink. Making a larger engine? That's stupid as shit.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Counterpoint, IJAG.

Still, I wonder what would happen to the big boys in a similar scenario.

6. imjustagirl

Oh, I'm not denying that, really. I just think it's a strawman argument because I don't think they'd be stupid enough.

Then again, I wouldn't have thought Waltrip would have used jet fuel.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is this the NASCAR equivalent of taking steroids?

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I've read that there are 2 main things you don't fuck with in NASCAR: Fuel and size of engine.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

of course it was back in the day when the sport was good, but by this line of thinking Richard Petty's win total is 200*

engine too big: keep win, keep points, keep money - crew chief/brother suspended for a couple of weeks

10. lono

lono Active Member

Three: Add tires to that list.

And given that Jeremy Mayfield was caught in 2000 fucking with his fuel, is his latest misadventure all that surprising?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

TWSS

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

How do they measure the inside of an engine, anyway? Fill it up with water? If so, .17 added to 358 is something like five-hundredths of one percent. What's that, a drop in the bucket? It would seem to be within a margin of error for whatever measurement is taken.

Draft saved Draft deleted