1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR Awards Ceremony

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Are we talking in raw number of viewers or percentage of television sets, because there is a difference.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, yeah, BYH. There's a reason most NYC Republicans (Molinaris, line 1) are exiled there.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ahh, but A) It's not the media hub of the universe and B) it bring NASCAR to a place it doesn't otherwise go, so that opens up other media opportunities.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

IMO, Staten Island's a horrible place for a track. Why not New Joisey, like Meadowlands-adjacent?

5. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

ISC tried the Meadowlands angle, but the Jersey folks didn't take the bait -- weren't at all interested. Weren't they talking about building some other stuff there at one point (shopping/hotels), and now I'd say all the Jeresey focus is on the new stadium for the Jints/Jets. Meadowlands would, I agree, have made much more sense than Staten Island for a track - but unless something changes it's apparently not an option.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Put it in Brooklyn next to the arena being built for the Nets.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Staten Island makes perfect sense, especially where I understand they wanna put it -- on undeveloped land, near the Jersey bridges. It's not going in Richmond or anything.

8. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

ISC already bought the land some time ago.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Dickie, they've already built the rink!!!"

[​IMG]

10. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

And now, it turns out, ISC is trying to sell the land. So long Staten Island, hello who knows where.

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2006/12/04/scene_daily8.html

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And that's $150M down the toilet. Anybody have a buyer for just under 700 acres of Staten Island?

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Will they accept a trade? I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'm looking to unload.

Draft saved Draft deleted