1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR 2016 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 12, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Maybe the one posted directly above. LOL. The angle they showed at the end Sunday it sure as hell looked to me like Truex won. Gordon called it for Hamlin and I was like WTF is he talking about. Wasn't until the replay that I realized he was right.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is fun. A sandstorm is turning Las Vegas into a dirt track.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ah, wish I had seen that. Couldn't have been fun in the stands.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wind was a factor all day. It caused a delay early in the race, some problems later on when the sandstorm skirted the track, and a funny moment during the postrace. Keselowski was doing his burnouts and had an American flag wedged into his window netting. The wind ripped it right out of his car and onto the track.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Was surprised when he jumped out and retrieved it!

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

At least the racing seems to be better.

7. Nice moment today between Gordon and DW debating tires over position during a restart.
    Gordon wound up being right, but it was fun listening to them go back and forth.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another moment for NASCAR's Flag Follies reel, too. Jimmie Johnson pulled alongside the flag stand to get the checkers, but wasn't right up against the wall so the guy had to throw it to him. It missed, and fell onto the track. Johnson had to clamber out of his car to get it, but had a hard time since he was still pretty close to the wall. Kind of funny to watch.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gordon is already one of the best ex-player commentators in any sport I have ever heard. He's actually informative on every comment, which in a sport built on technology is pretty important.

expendable likes this.
  10. Gordon ate DW's lunch on that debate, as you noted he knew about the track and its wear on tires than the older guys.

From what I've heard of him he's great in the booth ... My only concern would be his ability to be critical of drivers for mistakes and miscues. That's one of the things I've enjoy with Kyle Petty.

expendable likes this.
  11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

FOX has never really had a commentator that has been critical. Maybe that's by design, but I hope as Gordon grows in his role, he can look at situations with a more critical eye. Or express them, at least.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I will compliment NASCAR on the new aero package. The racing has been much better this year, even at Cali and Vegas, which for the most part have been 300 parade laps broken up by debris cautions.

Draft saved Draft deleted