1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR 2016 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 12, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gordon is great. He actually explains what is going on and why, rather than just saying "Whoo boy!" like the guy next to him. They should probably move Waltrip to the hotel. He'd be great at filling rain delays, interviewing drivers - but next to Gordon his shortcomings as an analyst are even more evident.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Waltrip ain't going anywhere.

If I'm a Nascar director, and the race is thisclose, I'm switching to an overhead camera at the line.

I thought the broadcast was great and the season is off to an excellent start.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I saw the finish, and I thought the camera they had at the finish line worked just fine.
    I only saw the last half of the race, but I enjoyed the broadcast. It was the first time I heard Gordon in the booth, and he was excellent.
    The broadcast trio is fine as it is, I believe. If you're going to have three guys in the booth, there's nothing wrong with having one analytical analyst, which Gordon is shaping up to be, and another who's more 'colorful' (i.e. DW). It could be a good contrast once Gordon and Waltrip get used to working together.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's not a lot of "whoa" news to me in Nascar anymore -- and the head-shakers from the home office don't count -- but Stewart-Haas moving to Ford today was. Would love to know how much cash Ford put on the table for that.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Perhaps he got some brain damage we didn't know about from his accident? The timing of this strikes me as rather curious and odd. Tony is out of commission and likely not in the office much (if at all). Haas, meanwhile, is in Europe as his new F1 team starts testing. Plus this comes out a few days AFTER the season has started? Makes me wonder if Ford saw leadership as being distracted and quickly moved in with a sweetheart deal.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, strange timing one week after the entire U.S. motorsports media world was together. Maybe Nascar didn't want any blockbuster deal stealing thunder from Daytona and their announcements like the (yeehaw) charter system.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Going back to the Daytona finish for a minute. We've had a few of those "win by a bumper" finishes in recent years, but what happens if they finish in a dead heat that even the high speed cameras can't sort out?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Orange slices for everyone? :) Sorry.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If they can figure out who won when the cars are separated by one-hundredth of a second, I think we'll be OK.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And I think they've broken it down to thousandths, no?

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but even with that fraction of a second it still equates to a noticeable difference when you slow it down frame by frame. It was obvious from looking at the high speed angle that Hamlin won Sunday's race. I forget which finish was the .001 second margin, but even THAT was noticeable as an inch or two. Is there a process for determining who wins in a straight up dead heat?

Draft saved Draft deleted