1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Narron fired in Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sam Mills 51, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The Reds ran out of patience and fired Jerry Narron.

Ugh ...

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

20 games below .500, that'll happen.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Sounds like the fire sale is going to be a big one for the Reds, now that Narron got pushed out. Griffey, Dunn, and anyone else could be for the taking by July 31st.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So, does Griffey go back to Seattle? You'd think they'd welcome him back for a Wild Card push, and I can't see the Reds sending him within the NL.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm not sure how much of this was Jerry Narron's fault. Probably the same as Dave Miley when he was let go. That's little consolation at this point in time.

Of all the hitters to go, my guess is Dunn will go first. I've said before, I'd be shocked if Griffey's traded -- more so if it happens before he hits No. 600.

Any word on who the interim guy? Is it Bucky "Bleepin'" Dent?

UPDATE: The Cincy Post's Reds' blog reported around 9:30 tonight Pete Mackanin will be the interim manager for the remainder of the season.

At 10:38, a blog responder (not me), made the following reply:

FIRE MACKANIN!

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Little of this was Narron's fault.

Pete Mackanin, an advance scout, was chosen as interim manager.

This should pave the way for Adam Dunn to be dealt ... and Junior will likely be up on the block, as well.

Wonder how Josh Hamilton will react?

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Trading Griffey before he hits No. 600 would be like trading your only All-Star the weekend before the All-Star game or trading your best starting pitcher two days before Opening Day.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does Narron go if Hargrove doesn't quit? I'm not implying that Grover is/should go to Cinci, but does the first manager to leave set others in motion?

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hmm ... I wonder what team has done that?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Brook got the shaft.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pete Mackanin? Who? I'm a Reds fan and follow them as close as I can from afar, but I have no freaking idea who that guy is. Never heard of an advance scout getting a managing gig, even for an interim.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No team should lead the league in home runs, yet be in last place.

That is all. [/minorredsfangirl]

Draft saved Draft deleted