1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nappy headed Mormons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, May 10, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Whoa whoa whoa. You're saying this as if all black people agree with Sharpton(But I'm sure that's your goal of course.) In fact, I would say more than half don't care for the guy.

Let me tell you something yab. Black people don't have a leader. We're not a basketball team. We're different people with different opinions(I know this may come as a surprise to you).

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Chuck, I think you're assuming a lot here based on heyabbott's well-earned reputation. He raised the thoughts about those in the audience who agreed with Sharpton. Nowhere did he say that was all black people. He may have meant it, but we have enough bullshit on this board both ways without putting words in each other's mouths.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No, what I am saying is that Sharpton has run for political office 5 times, 3 for US Senate, once for mayor of NYC and once for President of the United States. He has run specifically the voice of the African American community and has received tens of thousands of votes and millions of dollars, primarily form blacks. He does not speak for all of anything, but he does represent a sizable portion of the African American community. His racist, homophobic and antisemetic orations do resonate with millions. For that reason, his hate filled, bigoted diatribes must be treated within that context. Taken together, all of his disgusting rhetoric is signficantly worse than some old fool's moron attempt at entertainment. But it will be glossed over by the media and the next time he gets excited at the site of a camera, nobody will remind anyone of the prior lie and hate he has spewed. Why?

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Of course most of the his supporters are black. Most of Pat Robertson's supporters are white. What does that say? I'll tell you what, absolutely nothing.

But who really takes Sharpton seriously? How is Sharpton looked at in pop culture? He's in the same group with the Paris Hiltons and the George Bushes. He's looked at as a joke and a fraud.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I've met, worked with, and known tons or Mormons in my life and the one thing I can say without any reservation about them is they are GREAT in terms of family support and support for other Mormons. And I mean that as a compliment. They really take care of each other, and I very much admire that characteristic of the religion. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, but this is something that has always impressed me about people of the Mormon faith.

6. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I really don't want to get into a religious debate here because I don't feel it's really the place for it. So this is the only post I'm going to make.

Mormons are not Protestants and have never viewed themselves as such. We don't believe in reformism, we are a church that follows the concept of restorationsism. There's a pretty major difference in the two terms.

As to the debate about whether Mormons are Christians, it all comes down to what your definition of a Christian is.

If Christianity means "I believe in the Nicene Creed" then no, we're not.

If Christianity means "I believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and my personal Savior and the only means by which I can gain salvation" then yes, we are.

I consider myself to be a Christian, and the religion test posted a couple of months ago identified me as a Mormon first, and second was mainstream conservative Christian.

But I can also see why others view us as different than "mainstream" Christianity.

The debate has raged on plenty of places by people a lot smarter than me, which is why I won't post any further.

7. Totally agree. I have often said our society would be better off if we all had the Mormon attitude toward family and helping each other.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Amen, Okie. It really is uplifting to see how Mormon families act amongst themselves and between other Mormon families. Very inspiring. JDV and I have worked with/and have TONS of Mormon friends and JDV and I talk about this aspect of Mormon life all the time. It's extremely refreshing.

9. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

It's nice to know you guys respect those things.

I wish all Mormons deserved it. Sadly, some don't, of course.

But we do our best. :)

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Total respect, Manheim. I know some Mormons who I respect less than others, but hey, that's the same in all walks of life.

11. Yes, those Mormon sports writers who post on message boards, they're the worst.
    Present company excluded, of course.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

That's well done, sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted