1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nappy headed Mormons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, May 10, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Would you be more offended by those who say it, or those in the audience that nod their head and say 'amen' brother Al?

2. heyabbott

We haven't gotten past it, tens of thousands ofpeople voted for Sharpton because he stands for the things he preaches, Hatred of Jews, Gays and now Mormons. People say he isn't a black leader, but aside from jesse, sharpton's the only black man to have run for National Office and received votes from all over the country. I
    d venture to say that 90% of those that voted for him are black. Not all blacks are antisemetic and homophobis, but those that voted for him are, or at least don't care enough about bigotry and hate to hold it against him.

3. I think every sponsor should immediately cancel on Al Sharpton's nationally televised radio program and that both NBC and CBS should no longer give him a show.
    Oh, wait...

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Fixed

5. heyabbott

http://www.sharptontalk.net/

WILD-AM

Boston

1pm-4pm
    WOL-AM

Washington DC

1pm-4pm
    WCHB-AM

Detroit

1pm-4pm
    WERE-AM

Cleveland

1pm-4pm
    WTPS-AM

Miami

1pm-4pm
    WPSB-AM

Birmingham

12pm-3pm
    WROU-AM

Richmond

1pm-4pm
    KZIZ-AM

Seattle

10am-1pmPT
    WERE-AM

Cleveland

1pm-4pm
    WPUL-AM

Daytona Beach

1pm-3pm
    WAMO-AM

Pittsburgh

12pm-3pm
    KBMS-AM

Portland

10am-1pmPT
    WJRD-AM

Birmingham

12pm-3pm
    KPZK-AM

Little Rock

12pm-3pm
    WIBR-AM

Baton Rouge

12pm-3pm
    WAGF-AM

Dothan,AL

1pm-4pm
    WAPZ-AM

Montgomery,AL

12pm-3pm
    KPZK-FM

Little Rock

9am-12pm

KVLO-FM

Little Rock

9am-12pm

WAMJ-FM

Atlanta

1pm-3pm

WJLG-AM

Savannah

1pm-4pm

6. I am not agreeing with Sharpton, but I do have an honest question.
    As a Mormon, don't you believe that you worship a different God than the more mainstream Christian religions do (and you're probably aware that your church used to not call itself Christian to set itself apart)?
    Isn't your concept of Heavenly Father and Jesus being seperate deities, with Jesus as the God of this universe, quite different than the protestant concept of true holy trinity rather than a godhead?
    Again, I'm not trying to attack you. I am not voting for Romney because I don't agree with his politics.
    My best friend of more than a decade is Mormon. I have nothing against the religion.
    However, despite what some might say on this thread, it is not simply another protestant sect.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It comes down to this....unless Mormons actually profess to not believe in G-d, and I really don't know much about what they believe, Sharpton made an offensive statement by demeaning their faith. PERIOD.

Once again, he has proven himself to be a bigot who gets away with it, at least in part, because too many people in this country are afraid to call a black man a bigot.

8. Mormons believe in God. I'm not saying they don't.
    I am not agreeing with Sharpton, though I did say in another thread that I don't think Romney will win the nomination because so many people will not vote for a Mormon.
    My point is, some have said in this thread that Mormons are another Christian religion. To me, that is up for debate. Again, they didn't call themselves Christians for something like 100 years.
    If they want to claim the title of Christian, I have no problem with that. But they will tell you there are major differences between what they believe and what protestants believe.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The issue here isn't what the rest of the country believes about the LDS church or whether or not a Mormon can get elected President. The issue is that what Sharpton said is a classic example of hate speech that would get any white candidate or public official tarred and feathered. I've heard the tape several times today on the radio. He wasn't saying it in a joking manner. He was serious.

I didn't realize he had conned so many radio stations into carrying his radio show but if Imus lost his show for what he said so should Sharpton. Anything less is a double standard.

10. You will notice I asked my question to mannheimadler, a professed Mormon. Call it a threadjack if you want, but I'm waiting for a response from him.
    Sharpton is an idiot, and Romney will get more votes than he ever would.
    I just wanted to know what mannheimadler thought about what I wrote.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wasn't addressing you specifically.

12. I apologize. I assumed you were.
    Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted