1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nappy headed Mormons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, May 10, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Unlike a LOT of protestants, Sharpton is a public figure with a public stage. Average Joe saying it at the coffee shop is far different. Sharpton ought to practice some of his own political correctedness.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll talk to Al and see if he can keep his controversial statements among himself and his buddies in the welfare and food stamp line.

Will that work for you, Yawn?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I find it funny that this is probably a topic on which hardline conservative Christians and Sharpton would agree. Probably a good sign for both to reconsider their position.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Speaking of nappy-headed Mormons:
    http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/roster/roster-detail.asp?ID=367

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I agree Ides. They all sound bad.

I was merely pointing out that the situation isn't analagous to Imus, merely another stupid thing Al Sharpton has said in a long list of stupid things Al Sharpton has said.

And Meat, you hit the nail on the head.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sure sounds to me like he is saying Mormons don't believe in G-d and that anyone who does believe in G-d would vote against a Mormon candidate. I'm not sure how that isn't offensive. It bothers me as it is and if you put Jew in there instead of Morman, I'd probably be very pissed off.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And while I didn't hear Sharpton say this, I am curious to hear the inflection in his voice.

If you put a sarcastic tone to, "those who really believe in God" it takes on a whole different meaning.

So you don't know if he's saying this seriously or if he's taking a jab at Republican primary voters and/or the religious right, which he has been known to do.

And again, I didn't hear it, so I don't know, just offering a possible explanation for a bewildering quote.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't agree with what he said, but I agree that it is accurate for a lot of people who do think of Mormons as a cult or something.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So you want to actually give Sharpton MORE of a public stage? I, personally, would like to have had the whole Imus issue settled by locking him and the team into a room for an hour. Then we wouldn't have had to watch hour and painfully unending hour of talk and debate about it.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Huge difference and this is worse than what imus said. Imus was an entertainer. Sharpton is a poltical leader within the Democratic Party, a presidential candidate who received federal campaign funds. His bigotry and hate, wich th media ignores as they do his lies, should be dragged out in public, like he advocates for those who Sharpton goes after.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think ALL religions are a 'cult or something.'

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=cult
    Noun
    S: (n) cult (followers of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices)
    S: (n) fad, craze, furor, furore, cult, rage (an interest followed with exaggerated zeal) "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"
    S: (n) cult (followers of an unorthodox, extremist, or false religion or sect who often live outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader)
    S: (n) cult (a religion or sect that is generally considered to be unorthodox, extremist, or false) "it was a satanic cult"
    S: (n) cult, cultus, religious cult (a system of religious beliefs and rituals) "devoted to the cultus of the Blessed Virgin"

Protestant christian religions are 'cults' in that they parted from one form of belief to another and followed a charismatic leader.

And with that, I'll renew my vow to not debate religion on this, or any, message board.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I agree, Ides, and that's why I'm really wondering about the context, here.

As Ace and Meat have said, evangelicals are the people most likely to think of Mormonism as a cult. I'm wondering if that wasn't the aim of this remark.

'yab --

Please.

There are so many inaccuracies in that last statement, it's not even worth responding to.

Draft saved Draft deleted