1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Napa Valley suggestions (among other things)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Feb 6, 2013.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

To my respected brethren,

We are planning a trip to San Francisco during Masters Week. Part of that trip, we'd like to hit the wineries in Napa. It's been a while since I've been there and I went there, I just randomly just hit places. This time, I'd like to be a little more informed and would like some advice from the board on the best places to go.

In addition, we'd like to see some redwoods, and I can't even begin to decide where to do that!

Thanks in advance!

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bell Vineyard. http://www.bellwine.com/

His wife's brother is an oil painter who we feature at the gallery. I've promoted his art a lot the last 3-4 months, so a month ago he gave me a bottle of Syrah from 2007. It was bold and fruity, good.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If I could afford it, I'd go to The French Laundry.

I cannot afford it.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Redwoods at Muir Woods in Marin County. Beautiful hikes, easy access. Mondavi tour is pretty good I think.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Have you considered Sonoma? If so, consider this one. It's the oldest family owned winery in California.

Gundlach Bundschu Winery
    http://www.gunbun.com/
    tel. +1 707.938.5277
    2000 Denmark Street
    Sonoma, CA 95476

6. dieditor

dieditor Member

The Napa Valley Wine Train is a hell of a dinner and a great time.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We've been to Napa and Sonoma a few times and have a pretty decent sized California red collection.

In Napa, our favorite places were Grgich Hills, Domaine Chandon (probably the prettiest places that I've visited), Stag's Leap (not Stags' Leap), V. Sattui (a fun place that doesn't sell in stores) . Opus One is so over the top, it might be worth it.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As a rule, Napa is over-commercialized and the better tour is in Sonoma.

If you're in Napa, the Ferrari-Carano winery is a nice stop-in (allegedly a mob winery). And the restaurants along St. Helena Highway are very good -- my personal favorite is Brix.

Have also heard great things about the Wine Train, a lunchtime-plus tour if you're just into relaxing and seeing the countryside.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

If you can, eat at the Culinary Institute of America in Napa.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're planning to go see the redwoods later this year. Pretty much decided to hit the Avenue of the Giants, a 31-mile drive through Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't been up there yet. We almost went in November, but we went to San Diego instead.
    I really want to get up there into Northern California. I have yet to be north of Marin, Larkspur, Tiburon.
    I want to go to Redwoods and Lassen Parks.
    And the Bigfoot Museum in Willow Creek.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Only problem, at least for me, with that suggestion is that, according to Google, that's 5 hours north of SF.

I didn't want to take an entire day to do it, but it does look like a good place to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted