1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naming Arnold's "Housekeeper"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 19, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, should the press name Arnold's housekeeper?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Poor Mildred does not photograph well.

3. The answer to the thread title is Edna Garrett and Pearl Gallagher.

Disclosure: I did have to look up Pearl's last name.

4. YankeeFan

I'm not sure the camera is to blame.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Definitely does not pass the New York Post Front Page test. Hitters are gauged by Mendoza line, philanderers are gauged by the Steve Phillips line.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yes they should. I wouldn't name the kid, who I believe is 14 or so. But why would they feel any need to protect her identity?

7. YankeeFan

Well, when you name the mom, you've essentially named the kid.

In sexual abuse cases -- not that this is the same thing, but the kid is an innocent party -- the press won't name a parent or sibling (sometimes even if the relative is the abuser) in order to protect the anonymity of the abused.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They were joking on Kimmel last night that the kid's name was Bennett Schwarzenegger.

Commando fans will love that reference.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Active Member

Well played, Mizzou.

"Let off some steam, Bennett!!!"

At almost 3 in the morning, in a hotel 2 1/2 hours north of home, without any sleep, I started thinking about Jules and Vincent from "Pulp Fiction" when I saw the thread name.

Jules: I don't eat pig. Pigs eat, and root, in shit. I ain't gonna eat no animal that doesn't have enough common sense to disregard his own feces.

Vincent: What about a dog? A dog doesn't disregard his own feces ...

Jules: We'll we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfucking pig. I mean he'd have to a helluva more personality than that Arnold on "Green Acres" ...

Personally I thought Arnold Ziffel was the best part about that show .... but it's close between that one "charming motherfucking pig," Mr. Haney, the carpenters, Alf and Ralph (the woman, of course, was named Ralph, not the guy) ... good lord, where to start, where does it end ... I'm thinkin' those writers felt no pain during their job on that '60s sitcom ....

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was he famous when they first hooked up?

If the answer is yes, I think she lost her right to privacy.

11. YankeeFan

This issue is that by naming the housekeeper you, by default, identify the child.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So? We don't have any issue naming politicians' children from marriage. Why should this be any different?

The child's not the victim of any crime.

Draft saved Draft deleted