1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Names people just don't have anymore...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

In 1983 or so, I met a girl around 17 or 18 named Norma. It was unusual all those years ago. Can't imagine there are too many parents naming their daughters Norma these days.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My grandmothers were named Harriet (Hattie) and Pearl. My grandfathers were named Rueben and Ruppert, and my GGF's name was Orson, and I too had a great-aunt Maude and Lillian, and an uncle Dewey, and uncle Merrill.

Those names did not surface when we were wondering what to name Micro Jr., even though Lillian would have been OK for a girl.

I don't think my son has ever gone to school with someone named Nancy, or Betsy/Betty/Lisa, which were all very popular names when I was a kid.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Elizabeth is a good name. I worked at a newspaper with a girl named Elizabeth. She went by Liz and she was cool and attractive.
    I have an aunt who is very cool. Her name is Elizabeth and she goes by Betty. you don't meet a lot of Bettys anymore.
    I think Betty is a good name as a diminutive of Elizabeth.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Claude Lemieux wants to kick your ass when he celebrates his 45th birthday on the 16th.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"Hey Mabel! Another Black Label!"

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Elsie a standalone or a nickname for some longer/other name? I like Elsie.

My mother-in-law was June. Don't see that too often anymore. My niece is April, that's about the only "month" name you hear these days. May seems out of fashion, too.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Remember the Dentyne commercial?

Hello, Betty!

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As a general policy, I do not condone the name Claude.
    However, as a NJ Devils fan I love Claude Lemieux.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When I was in school, Debbies had to be distinguished by their last initial because there were so many of them.

The '70s "Newhart" show (set in Chicago) got a big laugh when the elderly temp receptionist was named Debbie.

Names go in and out of favor. I have nieces named Grace, Emma and Sophia. Those were all considered old-fashioned names when I was growing up.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Elsie will always be the Borden cow to me. Can't get past that.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My grandparents were Jean and Richard, Herbert and Miriam. Three unusuals there. Can't think of many young females named Jean.

12. mb

mb Active Member

Whitey.

Draft saved Draft deleted