1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Names people just don't have anymore...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 8, 2010.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My kid's youth baseball team of 11 and 12 years olds is a throwback to the 70s.

Roster includes Robert, Charlie, Jonathan, Eddie, Raymond and Daniel.

There were Jordan, Dylan and Kyle, plus Dmitry and Devonte, to balance it out.

2. KG

KG Active Member

One day I hope to have a Lilly (Lillian for my grandmother) and Parker.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Albert is a legacy name in my family. Both my father and grandfather were Alberts, it's my middle name, I have a cousin named Albert (who goes by his middle name) and a nephew whose middle name is Albert.

My mother's first name is Clevie, which she hates, so goes by her middle name. She had brothers named Marion and Grady. My dad's sisters are Shirley and Marjory.

I have cousins on my mom's side named Teresa, Rosalie and Dorothy Kate (who passed away two years ago much too young). On my dad's side, my generation includes two Stanleys, Kevin, Mary Jean (nicknamed MJ, of course), Melanie, Russell, Kenneth, Sheryl and Frank, among others.

Our kids include Stephen, Sarah, Brooks, Frances, Daniel, Aaron, Ian, Sophie, Gracie, Andrea and Michelle.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My maternal grandparents: Sarah & Robert
    My paternal: Celia & Leonard
    Parent's: Daisie & Edgar (Steady Eddie to his coworkers)
    Me: John
    Siblings: Pat, Diane, Paul, Barbara and Nancy
    My three sons: Elliott, Graeme & Duncan
    Nieces & Nephews: Jennifer, Andrew, Rebecca, Lindsay, Brian, Claire, Kate and Jane

If I had a daughter she would have been Sarah

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Just look to popular television...

Weeds: Nancy, Silas, Celia
    Mad Men: Don, Dick, June, Betty, Richard, (and on and on and on; probably unfair because it's not set in modern times)

And that's all the TV I watch.

But how many Deans are there? And Louises? Gertrude has been mentioned but, seriously. No more Gertrudes. Or Janets. Or dudes named Jan. Dolph?

My personal favorite and a middle name my mother quit using decades ago:

Gaye.

Draft saved Draft deleted