1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Names people just don't have anymore...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 8, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...so I was reading the Claude Felton comments on the UGA thread and I realized I've always liked that name -- but I honestly can't think of anyone under the age of 60 named Claude.

On the woman's side, I'd say Harriet is about as rare as a sane Lindsay Lohan comment these days. What other names do you miss?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Egbert
    Bertha
    Edsel
    Maude

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My buddy named his daughter Mabel last year. I told my coworker about it and, while I'm not crazy about the name, I defended it by saying, "You ever hear of a stripper named Mabel?" His response: "You ever hear of a senator named Mabel?"

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Not too many Adolfs anymore.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My friend has a two year old daughter named Elsie. Another friend has a 7 year old named Frieda. Two bad names.

Judd Apatow has a daughter named Maude. She's been in a couple of his movies.

Egbert and Edsel would be good cartoon character names.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I worked with a woman named Frieda at a newspaper. She was cool.
    When I was fresh out of college, I worked at a bank with a girl named Elsie. She was cool and attractive.
    Throwback names are cool for girls, and Mabel is close to the top of that list.

Maude = don't like

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When I was a kid, it seemed like everybody (including me) had a grandma named Maude. I guess it was the Mary of its day.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The world needs more Gertrudes and Guadalupes.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Lebron. You just don't hear that one anymore.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Mabel was on the short list for our daughter. Good name.

11. Big Circus

I like Elsie a lot. When our boy was born, we named him John and one nurse said she hadn't cared for a new baby with that name in several years. Made me weep for society.

12. Big Circus

Also, I'm not crazy about Mabel, but I think that's partly because it goes absolutely HORRIBLY with my friend's last name. Too many Ls in close proximity.

Draft saved Draft deleted