1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Names in cutlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MartinonMTV2, Apr 24, 2011.

1. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

How about if you PM me before I answer that here?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Because, you know, that's ALL you said.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I guess I need to keep an archive. I added something about people being more interested in making excuses than fixing the stuff, I think. Like it or not, the readers think that and worse.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe you need to make your points without the extra insults tossed in for yuks.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

They're good yuks, though, especially among this crowd. I hope it was a good insult, though, because I don't recall it.

You're doing a heckuva job, Brownie.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So are you. Quit mucking up every thread.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now that's what we need ... a special board for Martin we can all ignore.

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

It's mine.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I go in sometimes and do some freelance editing at the local paper. The pages are designed at the regional copy desk about 70 miles away, so my job is to read and edit the stories as they come in and then proof the pages when they are done. There are a lot of times I don't see the photos and cutlines until proofs come back to me. If I'm getting a proof a minute before deadline I'm making sure the dates and page numbers are right, no glaring mistakes in the headlines and the stories either end or jump to the right place.

I don't think I've had the cutline and story not match for me yet, but I can certainly see how it could happen.

10. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

It's the job of the copy editor to make sure the name is spelled correctly in the caption and article. Possibly both versions are wrong. Often, the photog is wrong, but sometimes it's the writer.

11. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Worse yet is when the photogs butcher cutlines every day and simply come right up to you and say, "It's not my job to write, it's yours."

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When "Pubic School" was the main hed of a story at the last paper I worked at, cutline mistakes are the least of the editor's worries.

Draft saved Draft deleted