1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name this band/composer (please, because I'm losing my mind)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Theoldbenchwarmer, Jan 20, 2008.

1. http://www.ruthschris.com/home.html

I was there for dinner tonight and a song played that I want to find. It sounds like it could be from the same band/composer who wrote the one on their main page.

It also sounds like it could come from an Ocean's 11/12.5/13 soundtrack, but I didn't find it when I listened to them. It's a pretty popular song; I've definitely heard it before.

Please, help me!

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I may be crazy, but I think I've heard Joe Jackson do that.

But since he's done covers of everyone from Count Basie to Louis Jordan, I don't know if it's an old tune or an original.

Sorry...............

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

never heard it and didn't see any help imbedded in the coding.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have most of Joe Jackson's stuff and this doesn't sound like Joe to me. Sounds kind of like Dave Grusin to me with the way the light piano comes in after the horns.

5. It's funky/jazzy....The song I'm trying to find is definitely in a commerical or in a movie I've seen recently, but I can't figure out which one. It sounds a lot like the composer from the Ocean's 11 movies (like I said before).

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I put this on the Classic thread, but...
    There's one that's kind of operatic eerie, horror movie favorite that I can't think of the name of for the life of me. Thought it was from the Omen but it isn't. Played in commercials -- I think it's the Gatorade commercial out now -- black and white still photos, with rivers of pastel color sweat dripping down...

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The song on the 'splash' screen of the website is the same one played in the Ruth's Chris commercial, just done in a big band style as opposed to small combo. It's also very short and plays on an endless loop. It feels like a piece written for their ads - a classy jingle, as it were.

8. finishthehat

I didn't mean that Joe was doing this particular version -- just that I thought I'd heard him cover it, or something like it, somewhere along the line.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Not to jack this thing, but there is a song from the movie "Life", with Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy.

They play the first few lines right after the judge sentences them both.

10. finishthehat

From a posting two years ago on a "Boycott Ruth's Chris" website:

--------------------------------

Go to the Ruth's Chris website. There is some jazz music playing in the background of the welcome page.

For those of you who are not completely familiar with jazz music, I would like to point out two things about the music playing in the background.

1. It is not Dixieland or New Orleans jazz. It is Miles Davis.

2. The name of the song is "Freddie Freeloader." How ironic, don't you think?

------------------------------------

A quick listen shows this is indeed it. I couldn't find where Joe Jackson played it, but he's been doing a lot of medley stuff in the past few years, throwing in a musical phrase or two, so maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Draft saved Draft deleted