1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name 5 better movies than John Wick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Sep 28, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus, that's Keitel? I had four out of five. Keitel never even occurred to me.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Aliens? It was a sequel to a successful suspense movie, but I don't know that anyone was expecting the action movie rollercoaster ride they got.

sgreenwell and garrow like this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Die Hard had no buzz and no expectations. Many actors passed on it before the “Moonlighting” guy, which he was at the time.

No real sci-fi/fantasy component though. Unless you count jumping off a building with a fire hose wrapped around your waist and living.

Mostly, I just wanted to mention Die Hard.

Neutral Corner and heyabbott like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What about The Terminator?
    Great movie, spawned a franchise, turned Schwarzenegger into a megastar, and is probably one of the more beloved sci-fi flicks of the 80s. All for a movie that was pretty much a late-fall throwaway release.

Reading the Wiki for the movie, there are a lot of weird connections and "what ifs?" with that movie, too. Sylvester Stallone, Mel Gibson and O.J. Simpson were all considered at one time or another for the Terminator role. Schwarzenegger was initially interviewed for the Kyle Reese role.
    And, because of Schwarzenegger was tied up with filming Conan the Destroyer, there was a nine-month gap before production could start on Terminator. During that time, James Cameron took on another writing gig -- Rambo.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why do you think it's sad.?Here are five icons of American cinema, all still working at an advanced age. If that's what they want to do, great. Even their failures (they've all had their share) are interesting.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Escape From New York

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

RoadHouse

I love that movie.

great thread idea

Batman and heyabbott like this.
  8. Taken
    The Usual Suspects
    Enter the Dragon
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Blair Witch

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It was predicable in every way. Formulaic in an interesting way. It was the classic fish out of water, fish learns new environment and fish gets respect in new environment. It it was done twice in the same movie. They Baby and Johnny were each in a fish out of water storyline. It worked great. Excellent cast, writing that seemed better than it should have been and a multiple villains for each protagonist

It’s a great movie.

10. heyabbott

The Usual Suspects was a movie that I would watch 5 times a year.
    Taken is in the same ballpark as John Wick, just not nearly as good.

Not a horror fan

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Uh... You're describing Dirty Dancing, not RoadHouse. One is a homoerotic tale with a sweaty Patrick Swayze, and the other is Dirty Dancing.

Slacker likes this.
  12. heyabbott

Right. Oops. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted