1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nail in the coffin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BlacknGold, Mar 15, 2007.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

Also, I don't know too many decently "paid reporters" sitting in the office waiting for the phone to ring with prep scores and stats. Is this the job of a reporter? We've got part-timers and agate clerks for that, not "paid reporters."

2. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

Good point.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Fuckin' piece of cake. Do not complain about this.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

20K, decent size city, six schools. We (the two sports reporters, one sports editor - all 40-hour weeks) have to do it all.

5. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

OK, I see where you are coming from now. With six schools, it would be best to have good working relationships with the coaches. At least you are not bitching about not being able to get the task done, like the guy on here who has only five schools to deal with.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

At Dorf, where we moved countless high school game capsules on a busy night, a co-worker once ended a baseball recap with "...and that was the whole can of corn," just to see who'd notice. No one did.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wonder how she feels about the coffin corner kick.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He swinnnngs ... and he scorrrres!

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I love answering when parents call and complain that their kids' scores/names weren't in the paper.

"Well ma'am, we only print the scores that coaches call in to us each night, so you'll need to take it up with your kids' (a-hole of a) coach."
    "Oh, you mean it's not your fault?"
    "Nope, theirs. Start calling him when the scores aren't in the paper and asking why he didn't call them in."

I like indirectly pissing off some of our coaches. Good times.

10. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

PARENTS ARE NOT AN OFFICIAL SOURCE.

And they're frequently wrong. I can NOT stress this enough. Utilizing parents in the suggested manner is irresponsible and unprofessional on the part of anyone who seriously considers themselves a journalist.

Just call the effin' coach. If he/she doesn't have the decency to phone in or e-mail their kids' results, call him or her out on it. I've found that even the biggest assholes will at least pawn off the responsibility on an assistant coach if you keep after them (i.e., call their AD). If the coach doesn't cooperate at all, then their kids' stuff doesn't get in. Simple as that. And it's not the paper's fault, either.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

13 years ago, a friend bought a Sega Genesis just so he could get Mortal Kombat. A few months later, I bought the system from him so I could play NBA Jam.

Awesome game.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hi, this is mr. petty calling in a softball score. uhhhhm, yeah, heartbreaker u won 1-4 and the littlest heartbreaker was 4-for-3 with two inside-the-park home runs, two doubles and a walk, she also drove in 11 runs. not sure how the rest of the team did, but, there ya go, get it in the paper, bitches.

Draft saved Draft deleted