1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nail in the coffin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BlacknGold, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Then again it was a brief, which are often either riddled with cliches or mind-numbingly repetitive (I, for one, prefer the latter).

2. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

I had a guy call me up earlier tonight and ask for some help with some "final four" information. He then, I shit you not, asked me to read him all 64 teams in the NCAA tournament so he could fill in what apparently was a print out of the brackets without the first round pairings.

Uh, no.

I slammed the phone, collected my cool and then answered the phone again.

"This is Coach Doe over at Bumblefuck High. Got some track results for ya."

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

He hit that one from downtown.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Wow, your coaches call in their results? I'm jealous.
    There's a little irony and a little truth in that, actually. A lot of our coaches neglect to call in their games. This causes parents to call and complain that we didn't put their kids in the paper, at which point I get chewed out by my bosses for not calling all of the coaches myself and asking for their game information.
    Oh, have I mentioned that my shop is a little backwards?

5. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

The boxes aren't in the paper the next morning because the coach didn't call them in. So when pissed off parents call you to complain, tell them you'd be happy to print the box scores, if only the coach would call them in.

Try it.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Doesn't work. Their main complaint is often that we didn't actually staff the game. My answers rarely satisfy them. That's when they go above my head and the aforementioned situation plays out.

7. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

Could you be a little more specific about your paper. Weekly? Daily? What's the circulation and how many high schools are you dealing with?

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Daily; 16-20k; 5 high schools and one private school; 3 full-time in sports (including me) and no part-timers or stringers.

9. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

Perhaps you might consider finding one parent for each sport at your five schools. Surely you could find somebody that would be willing to work with you. Both sides win. They get their boxes in the paper. You get your bosses off your back, and a better product for your market.

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Look, if you're going to approach this logically, then my whining will be completely wasted.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Wouldn't ending a graf by saying "Period." be a cliche in and of itself?

Just sayin' ... :)

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Your whining is completely wasted.
    If you can't track down results from 6 schools, somebody ain't doing the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted