1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NAIA team forfeits playoff game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I thought it was 7-0 in baseball.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

9-0 in a 9-inning game, 7-0 if scheduled for 7 inns. (like HS games)

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No Aptitude In Academics

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The score of a forfeited NFL game is 2-0. The reasoning behind this is that a safety is the only way to score in an NFL game in which no points are credited to a specific player.
    I would think the same applies to American football

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Exactly, one formerly NAIA school in my neck of the woods made a meal of players kicked off SEC teams in the 1980s. Their primary recruiting zones were across the street from Tennessee, Georgia and Florida. Officially, they were just giving a second chance to some outstanding young men that had made mistakes. "Oh, he runs a 4.3, we'll just have live with that."

It worked to the tune of five NAIA national championships.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Hey, they work just as hard as the non-felons who actually go to school! Be nice.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You only cover the NAIA when we forfeit!

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not unless they play by Canadian rules ... :)

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Friends University of Central Kansas did not want to play Carroll. That would have been Smith Center vs. Plainville awful.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've heard about Smith Center. They're good.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't believe there has been a forfeited NFL game since the 1920s.

I remember reading, probably in the 1970s or so, that there are really draconian penalties for any franchise which ever actually did forfeit a game -- massive, massive fines (back then; they're undoubtedly much higher now). Obviously the message is that barring an unspeakable catastrophe, you do whatever it takes to get the game played.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Carson Newman?
    And Archie "Gunslinger" Cooley made a living in the NAIA off using players who had used up their eligilbity at another school. Cooley just had them play under fake names and such.
    That cat was a character.
    You'll never see another guy like him be a college head football coach on any level.

Draft saved Draft deleted