1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nagin: Yeah, he got re-elected

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Aug 25, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Steveu, Nagin beat another Democrat, so that theory goes out the window.

2. hawker14

hawker14 Member

it'll be interesting to hear what the pill-popping, racist, conservative radio host has to say. in rush we trust.

3. Just wanted to add insight from sources I have in New Orleans.

It was the white voters, who generally had the means to evactuate on their own, who voted for and helped re-elect Nagin. They voted for Nagin because he was the more conservative candidate.

I'm not passing judgement. I'm just passing on what my sources have told me.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The blacks pretty much abandoned Nagin after Katrina.

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

This is what my thought was. I just think that at this point in time, you'd rather have sympathy. That's not a sympathetic comment. Even if it is fact.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nagin is just the latest in a long, long, loooooonnnnggg line of corrupt/incompetent (take your pick) Louisiana politicians. That's part of the reason there were so many problems last year during Katrina. Bush and the federal government screwed up their end of the response, sure, but Nagin and the Louisiana pols did plenty to get it to that point in the first place. And I'm not talking the week before the storm.
    It still baffles me how Nagin could get re-elected. About the only thing I can figure is, it was because his major opponent was Moon Landrieu (from one of the big-time Louisiana political families) and the NOLA folks figured they were better off with a buffoon than a crook.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

My personal favorite...the city was to get $5 million from FEMA to remove damaged cars. That's all it would have cost. However, Ray decided HE could do it better, hired a company that had donated to his campaign, and now it ended up costing $23 million.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As noted before, he's on "Meet the Press" ... right now.

EDIT: His appearance was brief and unimpressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted