1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nadal and Sharapova already done at the running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 19, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Nadal already done at the running Wimbledon thread

And the Ice Queen is done. :D

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

But alas one step away from major championships, one step closer to an E! reality show.

And really Sharapova isn't that much like Serena :) C'mon.

3. nafselon

Shriver seems to be happily tearing into Sharapova. But she's right, her days as a top player are over. Partially due to injuries but a lot of that is because her game never evolved to anything past a decent forehand and some good court traction. Now the shoulders are shot and she has stone feet. In three years she'll be a qualifier entrant.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

As weak as the women's tour is right now, I don't know if she's in any danger of being a qualifier anytime soon.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nine double faults didn't help Sharapova's chances. I'm a bit surprised she went out here, although making a run past the first week was a bit much to ask.

I'm curious if the shoulder is still bothering her, and thus maybe over compensating on the serve, or if she's OK physically and just needs more matches under her belt.

Victoria Azarenka posts the second double-bagel of the women's tournament, blanking Ioana Raluca Olaru 6-0, 6-0. Marion Bartoli had a double-bagel in the first round.

Serena Williams up 6-2,5-1 on Jarmila Groth.

6. nafselon

I think her shoulders will always bother her because she's so serve/power forehand oriented and she isn't physically big enough to put her body through that sort of wear or tear.

You are right SC, the women's div is pretty weak. I'm sure the WTA was happy to hear that Venus is planning on sticking around through the '12 Games because they don't have many players that can draw a dime right now.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The WTA needs Justine Henin to make a comeback. And/or one of the teenie boppers (Azarenka, Radwanska, Cibulkova, etc.) to make a big move in a major.

8. nafselon

Henin barely drew flies to shit too and when she got attention it was for her "gamesmanship" or as I define it, cheating. She was a very quiet business-like tennis player with the personality of a blank canvas.

They need a star and not necessarily a Safina-like bitchy personality but someone that people actually like or really are drawn too. I don't know if everyone likes the Williams sisters, but they are stars and people are drawn to them. Sharapova had a star quality about her even if her game isn't measuring up right now. Capriati had a star quality about her even when she was a junkie. Women's tennis needs a star, probably someone to fight against these Russian cloned robots.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That somebody could have been Ivanovic, who's been in a fog since winning the French last year.

And I don't know if we'll ever see anyone as quotable Hingis was. Women's tour used to have some genuine dislike and rivalry among the players. I just don't sense that anymore. Maybe it's because most of the finals are all-Russian, and they share a bond (excluding Sharapova) and do not get into the cattiness that spiced the tour a few years ago.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Buh-bye, Posh Spice. :)

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Sharapova will never win another major. Injuries have already depleted her game, but a lot of that may have been a lack of training. As I read a couple years back, why beat yourself up training and practicing shot after shot when you can shoot a commercial in a few hours for more money and call it a day?

She got famous too fast. Her good looks did in her career as a player.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As long as tournaments give out wild cards, she will never have to worry about qualifying for events.

The question is, how long would she be willing to play that role --- if it ever comes to that --- before hanging up her racket for good.

Shoulder injury is what contributed to Dementieva's serving woes a few years ago. But Sharapova doesn't have Dementieva's ground strokes, so she cannot afford to give away 3-4 games every match with double-faults and a powder-puff second serve.

Draft saved Draft deleted